Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese GOOD LUCK Flag.

Article about: Good morning gents, I have just placed on hold this fine looking Japanese WW2 Good Luck Flag from our forum sponsor Fortunes of War Militaria. This is not my usual area of collecting but I c

Default Japanese GOOD LUCK Flag.

Good morning gents, I have just placed on hold this fine looking Japanese WW2 Good Luck Flag from our forum sponsor Fortunes of War Militaria. This is not my usual area of collecting but I could not resist the evocative look of this flag and Michael Bortner of FoW has been most helpful in responding to my questions. I highly recommend anyone interested In Japanese items take a look on his site if you have not seen it before. I hope you like it. Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese GOOD LUCK Flag.  

?

Nice looking flag Leon, have you had any translation done ?

Mike has a great site, and his book is an excellent publication, a must read if you're interested in flags and senninbari's.

There are other members here who have picked up some nice items from Mike, including me!

Regards

Russ

Very Nice example Leon!! Regards,Geoff

Thank you guys for the kind remarks, especially those for the website. There will be additions today to the Senninbari Consignment section as well as Good Luck Flags. Additions have been slow over the last couple of weeks as my email was hacked, and to be safe, I had to ditch my old (it really was old and had to go anyway) computer system. Everything is now good to go except my scanner which doesn't seem to want to calibrate to my new computer. Once that is functioning, I should be better than new! Thank you again, Leon, Russ and Geoff for the comments in the past and for the new ones.

MichaelB

Hello Leon-
    The last small slogan in the lower right-hand corner looks like it says, "7 Lives Dedicated to the Nation". I also see, "May Your Military Fortunes Be Long Lasting" or Buun Chokyu, written vertically up near the 11 o'clock position.

Quote by MichaelB View Post
    Hello Leon-
    The last small slogan in the lower right-hand corner looks like it says, "7 Lives Dedicated to the Nation". I also see, "May Your Military Fortunes Be Long Lasting" or Buun Chokyu, written vertically up near the 11 o'clock position.
    Thanks Michael for that information, I will make sure I note it down, and look forward to receiving the flag. I really can recommend your service most highly to the members here and your help has been invaluable! Leon.

?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Good morning gents, I have just placed on hold this fine looking Japanese WW2 Good Luck Flag from our forum sponsor Fortunes of War Militaria. This is not my usual area of collecting but I could not resist the evocative look of this flag and Michael Bortner of FoW has been most helpful in responding to my questions. I highly recommend anyone interested In Japanese items take a look on his site if you have not seen it before. I hope you like it. Leon.
    I especially like the Ad for Mama Kiko's house of happy in Osaka, special rates for those about to die for the Emperor.

Hello Leon-
    Thank you for your PM the other day. I am sorry that I am now replying, however, you asked about the meaning behind the slogan, "7 Lives in Dedication to the Nation/Emperor". That particular Japanese slogan has a couple of different English translations, but basically they mean the same thing and are attributed to the same person/place. During the Genko Wars, the famous samurai Masashige had a brother, also a samurai. These men were devoutly dedicated to their Emperor, Go-Daigo, and eventually gave their lives in service to him. While Masashige's brother lay dying on the battlefield, he was said to have uttered, "Would that I have 7 Lives to Give to My Emperor". The meaning and the attachment to the samurai days carried over throughout the years, and was used for the same reasons/purposes by the Japanese World War Two era citizens and soldiers alike.

MichaelB

Quote by MichaelB View Post
    Hello Leon-
    Thank you for your PM the other day. I am sorry that I am now replying, however, you asked about the meaning behind the slogan, "7 Lives in Dedication to the Nation/Emperor". That particular Japanese slogan has a couple of different English translations, but basically they mean the same thing and are attributed to the same person/place. During the Genko Wars, the famous samurai Masashige had a brother, also a samurai. These men were devoutly dedicated to their Emperor, Go-Daigo, and eventually gave their lives in service to him. While Masashige's brother lay dying on the battlefield, he was said to have uttered, "Would that I have 7 Lives to Give to My Emperor". The meaning and the attachment to the samurai days carried over throughout the years, and was used for the same reasons/purposes by the Japanese World War Two era citizens and soldiers alike.

MichaelB
    Thank you for that translation Michael, that is a very interesting piece of history concerning that quote. Once the flag has arrived, I really will have to order myself a copy of your book and learn more about these pieces, there seems to be a story to be told on each and every flag! Leon.

Leon-
    You are welcome! You are correct too regarding the various quotes, etc. Most have connections that travel back far in time, associated with various samurai related stories, lore, and Japanese history. Please let me know when your flag arrives....

MichaelB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast