Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Japanese helmet, complete and period painted flat black

Article about: Just a note...beware of styrofoam heads....the chemicals they use are not too healthy for hats and head gear over time. Glass heads are generally best.

Default Re: Japanese helmet, complete and period painted flat black

Just a note...beware of styrofoam heads....the chemicals they use are not too healthy for hats and head gear over time. Glass heads are generally best.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Attached a photo of my '39 dated helmet. It has splotches of khaki green and black. My feeling is the black is post war applied. I can only speculate that it was painted this way to resemble 1960s comic book depictions of Japanese troops with camo helmets. I have seen one black painted helmet recently. The collector/dealer (who was not trying to sell me anything) was certain it was done as a night time camouflage effect. He said after encountering numerous examples all appearing to be field painted this way it appears the purpose was to darken them for night use. Still, there seems to be ZERO documentation of this claim out there. I will also speculate they were painted this way to add some kind of fierce and dark elite effect to the soldier's appearance. Just my two cents. NH Japanese helmet, complete and period painted flat black

?

Interesting. Hard to say when that black paint was applied. I presume that net is a postwar replica.

Yes, the net is repro. I put it on there so I could dress up the helmet with foliage for photos. It was such a bitch to get on I don't want to take it off! Close examination shows the black paint has been brushed over rusted parts of the shell in some places suggesting it was done after the item had aged and decayed a bit. I still think it is post war applied but who knows at this point? NH

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2