Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Identification Tags

Article about: Hi, I recently came across these Japanese items. They appear to be some type of Japanese identification tags (some type of dog tags???). I can't seem to find any information on them. Story f

Default Japanese Identification Tags

Hi,

I recently came across these Japanese items. They appear to be some type of Japanese identification tags (some type of dog tags???). I can't seem to find any information on them. Story from veteran's family was that they were taken off of kamikazi pilots on Okinawa. I find this difficult to believe as I would assume most everything from kamikazi's was destroyed. Any idea what I have here? (They are about the size of a US present day dog tag).

Thanks,
    Phil

Japanese Identification TagsJapanese Identification TagsJapanese Identification TagsJapanese Identification Tags

Hi Phil,

They are both ID tags of shipyard workers. Very interesting pieces.

横工廠造船部 (Yoko Kou-jyou Zou-senn Bu) - Yokosuka Factory Ship Manufacturing Department.

Back:

(Fune) - Ship

(Ki) - Mechanic

Regards,
    Taka
    Last edited by SHINDENKAI; 10-09-2013 at 01:24 AM.

?

"Story from veteran's family was that they were taken off of kamikazi pilots on Okinawa. I find this difficult to believe as I would assume most everything from kamikazi's was destroyed."

Indeed it was and good that you remained sceptical. Lots of folks have "bought the stories" over the years much to their dismay later when having their treasures evaluated.

Regards,
    Stu

Very interesting pieces! I'm sure they would be of interest to anyone interested in the IJN and Japanese maritime history.

Going along with Stu, unfortunately, the "taken off of a crashed kamikazi" claim is something that has been going around since collecting WWII militaria began. Because most Americans can't read Kanji (myself included), a lot of people believe these claims. Immediately after translation, it becomes clear that these pieces have nothing to do with kamikazi and someone told a story to make them more interesting/ desirable.

The only things anyone would be able to take away from a crashed kamikazi would be charred fragments of aircraft components...

?

I`ve heard of photo albums and flags being taken from a crashed Kamikaze plane,I think......
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by zwerge View Post
    I`ve heard of photo albums and flags being taken from a crashed Kamikaze plane,I think......
    Yeah, I read a thread on another forum about a sailor (OP's grandfather) leaving his battlestation to salvage souvenirs off of a crashed kamikaze on the USS Saratoga. The forum members translated documents and a photo album that the OP provided and they turned out to be items that belonged to a Japanese engineering student. OP then refused to believe them got pretty nasty... Things got pretty messy from there...

Here is the thread:

Kamikaze Flag,Photo album

Regards,
    Taka

Thanks, Taka!

Pat posted this same information on gunboards and they quickly figured out that either he or his grandfather were lying!

These are very nice badges. First time I've seen such items.

Indeed - the stories of 'got it off a dead soldier'
    is heard quite often as well.........
    Regards,

Steve.