Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Kabuto Kuwagata With Swastika Mons

Article about: Just acquired this kuwagata off eBay for my kabuto. Can anyone tell me how to find out if the swastika is really a Japanese family crest. I found one reference online but can't read it. Howa

Default Japanese Kabuto Kuwagata With Swastika Mons

Just acquired this kuwagata off eBay for my kabuto. Can anyone tell me how to find out if the swastika is really a Japanese family crest. I found one reference online but can't read it.

Howard Dennis
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Kabuto Kuwagata With Swastika Mons  
    Attached Images Attached Images Japanese Kabuto Kuwagata With Swastika Mons 

The Hachigusa family used the "Left-Facing Manji Within a Circle": 丸に左卍
    And yes, is the kanji for "swastika". I found this example on Wiki.

Since the manji is a Buddhist symbol, it is possible the person used it as a charm -- not necessarily his family crest.

The chart you displayed says something about "crests of the Heian" period [794 to 1185].

--Guy

I have seen the swastika used as a mon in this format and reversed as used by the 3rd Reich. I have seen it used not only on kabuto but also do, the chest armor piece. it is also found at times on sword furniture. The manji mon in various formats was used by a number of families in southern Kyushu. Very nice kuwagata. Welcome to the forum!
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thanks Guys, that makes me appreciate my purchase much more. I was wondering if it was created to deceive but you've restored my faith, I'll treasure it and display it proudly.

Howard Dennis