Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Katana tang signature

Article about: I'm hoping there is someone who might be able to "translate" this signature off the tang of a suspected 19th century katana. A rubbing could not be taken, as the "rust" w

?

Default Japanese Katana tang signature

I'm hoping there is someone who might be able to "translate" this signature off the tang of a suspected 19th century katana.

A rubbing could not be taken, as the "rust" would not allow, and was not going to be disturbed.

The two characters on the right actually follow the four characters on the left on the tang.

ANY help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Gary J.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Katana tang signature  

Hello Gary,
    I've moved your thread to the Japanese forum to hopefully get you more replies.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Kanetada of Noshu (Gifu Prefecture) was a gunto smith and was born in 1920 to the civilian name of Keiichi Ishihara. I suppose you mixed him up with the 19th century smith, Rihei Kanetada of Seki.

?

Many thanks Nick .... I would have never been able to decypher this properly.

?

Checking the net, Kanedata was a student of Kanesane from 1933 ....

JAPANESE SWORDSMITH KANESANE (KANEZANE)