Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese "Last ditch" Katana..

Article about: Hi, Just picked this up. I believe its a last ditch Japanese Katana. It is unmessed with and demonstrates genuine age and use. Its locally made, the handle it beautifully weaved out of straw

Default Japanese "Last ditch" Katana..

Hi,
    Just picked this up.
    I believe its a last ditch Japanese Katana. It is unmessed with and demonstrates genuine age and use.Japanese "Last ditch" Katana..Japanese "Last ditch" Katana..Japanese "Last ditch" Katana..Japanese "Last ditch" Katana..
    Its locally made, the handle it beautifully weaved out of straw mimicking Ito braid, the blade is of inferior quality and bears nicks in the blade indicating use...the tsuba is plain iron.
    The scabbard yet again is contempory and unmessed with retaining iron and straw mounts .
    Over all the piece is very well put together...and not a tourist piece !!!!
    Hope you like !!
    All the best
    Steve

Default Re: Japanese "Last ditch" Katana..

Very interesting piece was this piece from a veteran or where did you find it ??

This appears to be what the Japanese refer to as "island swords."a Locally made copies of Japanese swords made to sell to servicemen who did not have a chance to pick up a piece in a combat area. These were popular in both the Philipines and many of the South Pacific islands. The workmqanship looks nothing like true Japanese work. There never was a "last ditch" Japanese sword. That is a collector term ascribed to anything that is poorly made. At times, Japanese blades can be found in these type of mounts. They were salvaged from destroyed mountings found in an area after fighting. I can not tell anything about the blade from the pictures
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Hi Bob,

I agree. Not a "tourist" or "dock work" piece but a souvenir made in theatre for sale to servicemen.

Regards,
    Stu