Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese naval Anti air shell?

Article about: Hey, just thought i would upload a few pics of a simple display stand i make for my shells. Took me 5 mins to make and i routhly slapped a few coats of colored clear auto paint on to it, hen

Default Japanese naval Anti air shell?

I recently bought a Japanese shell from a reputable militaria dealer here and the tag stated it was japanese ww2 naval anti air shell.

Here are a couple of pictures that i took(sorry about the poor quality, i need a new cam)

There are a number of stamps, some in kanji. The stamps that are in english are-

S 9
    _

Anyone, know what kind of shell this is? Any info would be appreciated, thanks-

Darren.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese naval Anti air shell?   Japanese naval Anti air shell?  

Japanese naval Anti air shell?  

Default Re: Japanese naval Anti air shell?

Anyone?

How large is it? I can't tell from the pics if it is 13mm or 25mm. or none of the above.

I Believe it is a 13mm,

Im not as knowledgeable on munitions as i am other militaria but after doing a bit of searching i am fairly confident that it is a 13mm round of some kind for a Japanese 13 mm/76 (0.52") Type 93 MG

I cant seem to find any info or pics of the ammunition for this gun. any help, pics, info on the stamping etc would be great. thanks-

Darren.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese naval Anti air shell?   Japanese naval Anti air shell?  

Japanese 25mm Navy AA shell...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

gunerfly
    ?

Hello there, If its twenty mm then its possibly from the jap Type 98 AA. the shell would have a 2omm neck and a really fat shell. Im working on a type 98 at Manly on Sundays.Visit us at the North Fort Artillery Museum. Ask for Gary in the workshops and we can show you one/ rob you of your shell and put it with our show piece as we would love to get out hands on a dinkum shell. Failing that try google wikipedia and look up japanese type 98.
    Cheers.
    rambo_gis@hotmail.com
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese naval Anti air shell?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Japanese naval Anti air shell?  Japanese naval Anti air shell?  Japanese naval Anti air shell? 

Hey, its been some time since i posted this one and am glad its still of interest.

Yeah, it seems my first estimation was way off , i know more about British and soviet munitions than i do about japanese.

Thanks for the replys, much apreciated and as for Gunerfly, sure, you can have it for the display but i wouldnt be able deliver it in person, Perhaps i could send it? it is fairly heavy though but if you want it PM me and we will work something out.

Cheers-

Just took a rather clear photo of the stamps on this Japanese naval AA shell -

I'm actually donating this one to a museum
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese naval Anti air shell?  

gunerfly
    ?

Hi Darren, Its Gary in sydney from the Artillery Museum. Just wondering how things are traveling with the shell and If you know the cost of the freight etc.If you can ring me on 0410 598 041 and let me know I can get it to you quickly.
    Cheers, Gary Moore.

Hi Gary,

Been meaning to get back to you on that. My shell is a 25 mm for the IJN Type 96 25 mm Triple AA Guns. your after a 20 mm.

Ill keep an eye out for one for you as i know of a few good militaria antique dealers who ususaly have a few Japanese shells lying about.

My apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

Cheers-

Darren

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast