Japanese naval canteen

Article about: This canteen was giving to me by a ww2 vet friend Micky Finn who served on the PT130. I'm trying to find out what the top right character means. I know the others are numbers a 2,1,6,1 any h

Default Japanese naval canteen

This canteen was giving to me by a ww2 vet friend Micky Finn who served on the PT130. I'm trying to find out what the top right character means. I know the others are numbers a 2,1,6,1 any help would be great. I do not know why the pictures the are upside down the iPad was upright that is my story and I am sticking to it. Marty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	319.8 KB 
ID:	613057   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	318.8 KB 
ID:	613056  

Hi Marty-san,

All I can tell you is (Yu). Perhaps transport unit (Yu).

Good example!

Regards,
    Taka

Boy, that was fast . Thanks for the kind words I really like it and to come from a local vet and friend means even more. You can google the pt130 they saw a lot of action. Marty

?

Nice canteen.

?

A very nice example with good markings . It always makes an item special when you know of its origins .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

I'm at this very moment leaving to go and visit with Mr. Finn. He enjoys reading all of my old issues of America in ww2 and world war 2 both are good magazines. Question, how would you read the canteen 2nd transport 161. What does the 161 stand for? It would make sense about the transport because Mr. Finn said night runs would be to destroy cargo and transport ships and anything else that was in the small convoy's. thanks, Marty

I just spoke with Mr. Finn, he told me he picked the canteen off one of the island that had been secured. His crew stopped at the island to bathe in the stream. After bathing they went upstream and found in the same stream they had just bathed in a small group of dead japanese soldiers. He told me they never bathed in a stream again. Small insights to our brave men. Marty