Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese naval gauges?

Article about: Hi all, I'm a new member here, and I'm hoping the experts here might be able to help out with identifying some heavy brass gauges I have. Quick back story- I was given these two gauges well

?

Default Japanese naval gauges?

Hi all,

I'm a new member here, and I'm hoping the experts here might be able to help out with identifying some heavy brass gauges I have. Quick back story- I was given these two gauges well over 20 years ago after helping my grandmother's neighbor move a couch. He was a US Navy vet that served in World War 2, and he said he was assigned breaking down ships once the war ended. He told me these were from a Japanese submarine. I have no way to confirm or deny that part, but I'm hopeful someone here can at least help me figure out what these are. They look to me like they might be some kind of pressure gauge and the heavy brass construction seems to be consistent with something used on a ship. Then again, they could be from a water heater for all I know! I've attached some pictures, the one with "159" stamped on the base is the smaller one that reads from 0-230. Thank you very much in advance, any assistance is appreciated!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese naval gauges?   Japanese naval gauges?  

Japanese naval gauges?   Japanese naval gauges?  

Japanese naval gauges?  

Those are indicators from a Japanese blow torch, the kind of thing he would have used in cutting ships apart. One is for pressure and the other for adjusting cutting width with torch. War time vintage, but not too much of a collectable item, because of its pedestrian nature.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese naval gauges?  

?

Thank you so much- now I can say for certain what they are!

The 0-230 Gauge:

230 気壓
    230 Atmospheric Pressure

壓力計
    Atsuryoku-kei
    Pressure Gauge

酸素用
    Sanso-yō
    For use with oxygen

But I have no idea as to what sort of equipment it was attached to.

If you do any searches, you might get more results using the modern kanji instead of .

?

One other question, which one is the pressure gauge and which is the cutting width? Thanks again!

I just spend too much time researching!

First one is the cutting thickness indicator. Minor correction, thickness, not width indicator
    Last edited by Nick Komiya; 08-15-2017 at 10:28 PM.

?

Thank you! Not overly collectible but still a neat piece of history.