Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

japanese Naval Helmet ?

Article about: Hi! I just purchased this helmet at an Estate Sale down the road. I was told it was from WW1 although I think WW2 is more likely. I still thought it was a great helmet though and was given a

?

Default Re: japanese Naval Helmet ?

$35 , thats more than a steal, its highway robbery, good on you, I would think your talking $450-500 for a nice IJN type 90

The late-war painted Anchor is good...the liner is intact as well as the chinstrap....the paint is original and has only slight rusting is spots. $500 Easily....add another 100 on a good day.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Good Pwny View Post
    Nice helmet and at a steal! I don't think that Renaissance Wax would hurt it. I preserve a lot of my helmets with it and never a problem. Ikea has some cool glass cabinets for around $70. DETOLF Glass-door cabinet - beech effect - IKEA
    I'd like to add a few more helmets and that cabinet would be perfect. Thanks for sharing! The Renaissance Wax seems like it would work well, too. Would you recommend just waxing the outer shell? I'd be a bit afraid to risk getting any wax on the liner.

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    The late-war painted Anchor is good...the liner is intact as well as the chinstrap....the paint is original and has only slight rusting is spots. $500 Easily....add another 100 on a good day.
    Wow. On my way out a guy offered me $150, but I was already pretty well bonded to it. I wasn't even sure if it was worth that offer....I just knew it was something great. The historical significance is worth much more to me than the money. They originally wanted $95 for it so even at that price it's a steal.

Now to find the perfect way to preserve it....

Welcome to the forum and nice find its great to see that others value historic significance over making a quick buck... I am quickly getting into being obsessed with helmets as well...

Wax is fine for the outer shell and has been fine on leather in my experiences. You can leave the liner and coat/buff a gentle layer on the shell. I've never had a problem with Ren Wax. It's what top museums use.

Quote by AmericanKraut View Post
    Welcome to the forum and nice find its great to see that others value historic significance over making a quick buck... I am quickly getting into being obsessed with helmets as well...
    Definitely a great obsession to have! Where do you do your searching? I've been following a few on e-bay. My mom has owned an anitque store since I was a kid (Unfortunately, she has only seen a handful of helmets pass through in 20+ years). Thanks to her, I've never seen rust or dirt when given something with a little age to it. I just see a story. Good luck to you!
    [I]"We here highly resolve that the dead shall not have died in vain, that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom..."[/I]
    [I]Abraham Lincoln, November 19, 1863[/I]

?

i love the helmet , a very scarce item to come across , i'm glad it's found a good home
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

A very nice if not super find for that price!!!!
    Please whatever you do or whatever anyone above states...DO NOT PUT WAX ON IT. It will reduce it's value
    In a good enviroment the helmet will not rust and the leather will stay like it is. I know you're itching to do something with it...well go ahead and put it on your shelves and enjoy!!

?

All i can say to that is that museums use Ren wax on PRICELESS items in order to protect from environmental exposure, and it certainly will not have a great deal of difference in de-valueing the helmet if any at all, there are members here that use it on their daggers which are worth a great deal more than most helmets

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast