Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese Naval Officer's Dirk

Article about: Hi Rob , you`ve gone in at the high end of the scale and your patience has paid off , that is real quality , what a beauty , i love it , congrats . Did you find it locally ?

Default Japanese Naval Officer's Dirk

Hey gang! I'm happy to share my latest acquisition: an early ww2 made Japanese Naval Dirk. I have a few Japanese items and have been wanting to add one of these to my collection for some time now! This example is of wartime construction with a machine made, oil tempered blade with a straight temper line and it's very sharp. I love the ray skin on the handle as well as the shark skin on the scabbard! Overall length is 15 5/8 inches long. The shark skin on the scabbard is also in superb condition! Not sure if I could find a better example.

There are no Naval Ordinance stamps or other inspector’s marks on the underside of the guard which is not unusual as most do not. The grip is genuine ray skin and not the plastic imitation used on late war pieces and is framed by a wonderfully detailed, high relief sakura pommel. There is age darkening to it and a slight seam separation due to age and shrinkage. All grip wire and fittings are intact and beautiful! The fuchi is hand chased with a sakura decoration, usually only found on the deluxe, higher quality dirks.

Quite happy to have this puppy in my collection! Took some pics and thought I'd share!

Cheers!

Rob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Naval Officer's Dirk   Japanese Naval Officer's Dirk  

Japanese Naval Officer's Dirk   Japanese Naval Officer's Dirk  

Attached Images Attached Images Japanese Naval Officer's Dirk 

?

Default Re: Japanese Naval Officer's Dirk

What a superb looking dirk, very ornate, and in wonderful condition, you dont see many of these around, you lucky man

Thanks Dave! Yes, I've heard that most of these ended up at the bottom of the Pacific!
    I'm quite happy with this example. A hand made blade would have been better - but I do so love the overall condition. The shagreen (shark skin) is particularly nice. I've been told that most of these have "issues" due to age.
    Glad you like it man!
    Cheers!

Rob

Very very nice congrats.

?

What a waste of a beautiful dagger, i would have thought that a fair number would have found there way home with some GIs, but it seems they preferred the Samurai sword, i would imagine that it wasnt too cheap either, there is something about a scabbard and handle covered in ray and shark skin that sets itself above ordinary leather

I hear ya Dave!! 10-4 on that!!

Cheers!
    Rob

?

Very nice.
    It is one of the well made ones.
    Most are very cheaply made. You have done very well on this acquisition.
    SteveR

Thanks Steve! Glad you like it man!
    Cheers!
    Rob

?

Rob very nice. A great addition to any collection. Gary

Glad you like it Gary! I don't have too many Japanese pieces but this is certainly one of the highlights!

Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast