Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Japanese Navy Canteen

Article about: Have had this one lying around for a many years. Pulled it out today as I'm slowly (very slowly) starting to photograph everything I have. From what I understand, it is the officers model bu

MAP
    ?

Default Japanese Navy Canteen

Have had this one lying around for a many years. Pulled it out today as I'm slowly (very slowly) starting to photograph everything I have.

From what I understand, it is the officers model but I would love to hear from others with more experience. Overall very good condition. Chain is missing, a slight dent in the black aluminum cap and a small rip in the strap.

Despite what the label say's I did not buy it as a SNLF canteen. But the kanji was translated to 2nd Battalion, 3rd Company, 11th Infantry. Not sure if this is enough info to see if it is just NLF or SNLF. The ink stamp on the front is not legible but again, the small kanji has been translated as "16". I do not know if any of the kanji is translated correctly.

Japanese Navy CanteenJapanese Navy CanteenJapanese Navy CanteenJapanese Navy CanteenJapanese Navy CanteenJapanese Navy CanteenJapanese Navy CanteenJapanese Navy CanteenJapanese Navy CanteenJapanese Navy CanteenJapanese Navy CanteenJapanese Navy CanteenJapanese Navy Canteen
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Very nice Mike and good images too.!

MAP
    ?

Thanks Jake.

Got a "real" camera earlier this year. Makes a big difference. My light box however is junk, so I'm in the process of buying a new one with built in LED. Been told they are idiot proof! LoL!

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The label is unfortunately wrong on all points. It is a regular navy canteen, not an officer's and the writing on the strap is American Graffiti without George Lucas and Ron Howard.

Are the landing forces supposed to be so desirable, only because they engaged the Americans or are they regarded as crack troops by American collectors, something like the early Waffen SS? Actually the NFL/SNFL were units of very low esteem within the Navy, like a penal unit you got sent to as demotion. All the good ones became sailors and flyers, and Special Landing Forces were typically older reservists, so they were quite the opposite of elite units.

MAP
    ?

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    The label is unfortunately wrong on all points. It is a regular navy canteen, not an officer's and the writing on the strap is American Graffiti without George Lucas and Ron Howard.

Are the landing forces supposed to be so desirable, only because they engaged the Americans or are they regarded as crack troops by American collectors, something like the early Waffen SS? Actually the NFL/SNFL were units of very low esteem within the Navy, like a penal unit you got sent to as demotion. All the good ones became sailors and flyers, and Special Landing Forces were typically older reservists, so they were quite the opposite of elite units.
    Thanks Nick. As I noted, I did not buy it as a SNLF nor was I sure if it was an officers or if the Kanji was legit (my wifes Kanji skills are limited). I kept the label on in the oft chance the writing and translation was correct. Basically I bought it as a Japanese "Navy" Canteen, nothing more or less. Appreciate the clarification on all these points.

And also thanks for the NFL/SNFL lesson.

?

Well someone's keeping the army/navy rivalry alive! I totally disagree regarding the labeling of the SNLF soldiers. I firmly believe the early units were top fighting men. Not saying elite but certainly equal to any army counterparts. They are mentioned numerous times in period recollections & books by GIs as being "crack" combat units. I have hundreds of photo portraits depicting in shape, well equipped young men. Perhaps at wars end when every navy land garrison, construction & engineering soldiers were absorbed into NLF as last line of defense fighters did they appear a motley group. I bet the army had their share of penal units as well

MAP
    ?

Quote by Jareth View Post
    Well someone's keeping the army/navy rivalry alive! I totally disagree regarding the labeling of the SNLF soldiers. I firmly believe the early units were top fighting men. Not saying elite but certainly equal to any army counterparts. They are mentioned numerous times in period recollections & books by GIs as being "crack" combat units. I have hundreds of photo portraits depicting in shape, well equipped young men. Perhaps at wars end when every navy land garrison, construction & engineering soldiers were absorbed into NLF as last line of defense fighters did they appear a motley group. I bet the army had their share of penal units as well
    LoL!! Very funny Jareth!

If it appeases the Army/Navy rivalry gods, I can photograph some of my Army canteens tomorrow

Japanese canteens of any kind are definitely not a commonly seen or available item. The wooden stopper-is that normal? I notice the cap has a cork disk in the top of it, so what would be the purpose of the stopper,I wonder? In any case, I definitely like it and not too many guys can claim one in their collections! Very nice!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

MAP
    ?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Japanese canteens of any kind are definitely not a commonly seen or available item. The wooden stopper-is that normal? I notice the cap has a cork disk in the top of it, so what would be the purpose of the stopper,I wonder? In any case, I definitely like it and not too many guys can claim one in their collections! Very nice!
    Thanks William,

I see IJA canteens now and again at the local shows. But never the IJN ones. I've had it for many years now.

As far as the stopper. I think (but do not know for sure) that this was not original but field made. The cap is somewhat dented on the top and for some reason it does not screw completely down. Maybe it leaked and the industrious soldier took it into his own hands to fix it??

I took nice close up photos of this stopper to show that it appears to be hand carved. It is made of some type of wood.

?

That's a nice clean example of a Navy canteen!

Nick, I'd be very interested to read more about the SNLF and NLF forces if you can elaborate, perhaps in an article? Navy gear always seems to be more expensive as I believe it is perceived to be more desirable and 'elite'. If this is not correct it would be good to know more about the status of these troops.

Regards

Russ

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast