Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Japanese NCO sword

Article about: Hello everyone I finally purchased my first Japanese sword, a matching Tokyo First NCO sword. I still would like a traditional shin gunto but at this point in time my budget doesn't allow it

?

Default Japanese NCO sword

Hello everyone

I finally purchased my first Japanese sword, a matching Tokyo First NCO sword. I still would like a traditional shin gunto but at this point in time my budget doesn't allow it. This was purchased through a reputable dealer but I still would like to double check its all good. The saya has been repainted at some time - does it look period or post war? The blade is pretty close to perfect but unfortunately a lot of the paint on the tsuka is gone. Happy to provide further photos if required. Thanks for any comments.

Alex

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020555.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	219.7 KB 
ID:	973038Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020556.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	224.1 KB 
ID:	973039Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020557.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	220.5 KB 
ID:	973040Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020539.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	211.9 KB 
ID:	973035Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020546.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	211.7 KB 
ID:	973036Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020550.jpg 
Size:	205.4 KB 
ID:	973037Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020532.jpg 
Size:	205.7 KB 
ID:	973034Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020531.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	224.7 KB 
ID:	973033Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020530.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	973032

MAP
    ?

Looks like a very nice matching representative example. Congratulations!

I can not opine on the paint. Maybe others can.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Looks a good later model to me.

Alex,
    You have a nice Type 95, variant 2, NCO gunto! I am surprised at the "low' serial number for this variant, but the more I study these swords the more I learn that our assumptions about them are wrong and need updating.

The contractor stamp on the left was called "unknown" by Ohmura ,̕W An Arsenal trademark and inspection mark, but I have recently seen someone post one stamped like this and they knew the contractor's name. I will update if I can find it.

Nice sword and like the wearing of the gloves.
    Marty

?

Looks good to me although with respect to our fellow member posting above I believe it to be a 2A rather than a 2.

Regards,
    Stu

?

Thanks for the reply gents, If i come across a knot for the right price I might add it on. I've always been a stickler for the gloves once I've Ren Waxed an item. Friends and family still think its weird that I wont let them touch my militaria without gloves on.

I know it's not a traditional sword but if i were to display it what would be the correct procedure? Tuska to the left, blade edge up, in or out of saya?

Stu - Just want to say a big thank you for your NCO sword information sticky, without that I probably wouldn't have had the confidence to buy one.

Alex

Quote by Stu W View Post
    Looks good to me although with respect to our fellow member posting above I believe it to be a 2A rather than a 2.

Regards,
    Stu
    Thanks Stu! I often open my mouth before openning my reference books!!! Still learning!

?

Looks good and the paint too. Dont think its repainted.