Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese NCO Sword verification

Article about: Good day everyone. I wanted to post some pictures of what I believe is an NCO Sword. Type 95 possibly? This is out of my collecting wheelhouse so I am asking the folks on here for some assis

Default Japanese NCO Sword verification

Good day everyone. I wanted to post some pictures of what I believe is an NCO Sword. Type 95 possibly? This is out of my collecting wheelhouse so I am asking the folks on here for some assistance and confirmation/verification from what I was able to find from some of the great topics and posts by some of the great members here, (Mr. Pennington, Stu W, Nick and others)

This was given to me several years ago. From what I was able to determine about the 3 stamps is: the Kokura arsenal stamp, the Tokyo Inspection Stamp and the 3rd stamp (chrysanthemum) is an unknown maker?? I was hoping that I could get a thumbs up that this is an original sword.

The numbers stamped on the sword 68452 match the numbers on the scabbard.

If the pictures are not good, I can attempt to take better ones. I belong to several forums and each one has different uploading requirements so forgive me if these are not up too par..

Looking forward to thoughts and input.

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese NCO Sword verification   Japanese NCO Sword verification  

Japanese NCO Sword verification   Japanese NCO Sword verification  

Japanese NCO Sword verification   Japanese NCO Sword verification  

Hello Smitty,
    I am just an amateur but I love what I see si far. It's un bad shape but original. IMO cherry flower's yellow paint have been restored considering nothing left all around.

Cheers,
    Mat.

Hi Mat,

Thanks for the info.. The paint did look like it had been reapplied.. The blade is in pretty bad shape.. Someone beat it pretty good...

Smitty

I agree with Mat, and you are right about the stamps. Some of us call it the "Ichi" stamp just to have a name to use. I like them because they are less common!

Thank you Mr. Pennington.. Have a Happy 4th of July..

Smitty

?

Authentic IJA NCO Type 95 sword made in the Tokyo Arsenal while the production program was still under administration by the Kokura Arsenal.

Is the brass tsuba rim 9mm thick? I'm guessing it is with that serial number.

Regards,
    Stu

Stu,

Forgive me for my ignorance reference your question. I am not sure how to take a proper measurement. I'm sorry. Could you explain to me please? Thanks..

Smitty

Stu, and all others who have assisted me..

Thank you once again and I do apologize for my lack of knowledge in this area. I am grateful for all those who have contributed and have educated me a little more on this topic.

I took some measurements and I believe I was able to confirm that the tsuba is 9mm thick if I measured properly..

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese NCO Sword verification  

There's really no need for a proper measurement here. As explained in the development history of the type 95 sword, it started out with a copper handle with 11 mm thick brass hand guard. This got changed to a combination of aluminum grip with a 9 mm thick hand guard in July 1938.
    As your's already has an aluminum grip, it is a post-July 1938 model, but if it was made soon after the switchover, they might still have used the 11 mm thick Tsuba from old stock.
    So the tsuba is either 9mm or 11mm, which is a substantial difference without having to worry about measuring to the decimal point. Generally it should be 9mm.

?

Hello Smitty,

You have understood and correctly measured the thickness. Thank you.

No need to apologize for lack of knowledge as long as you are learning. I'm comfortable around the Type 95 but it wasn't always that way. We all started just as you have and built on our understanding a piece or two at a time.

Regards,
    Stu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast