Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Officer's "Shin-gunto" Sword ? and photos House clearance find

Article about: Found these items today at a House Clearance , what are your views on the sword , the scabbard looks repainted at some time but the sword looks well made , i have had no dealings with these

Default Japanese Officer's "Shin-gunto" Sword ? and photos House clearance find

Found these items today at a House Clearance , what are your views on the sword , the scabbard looks repainted at some time but the sword looks well made , i have had no dealings with these swords before so help needed , it came in with these photos also and some British army items , Thank you for any help
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Officer's "Shin-gunto" Sword ? and photos House clearance find   Japanese Officer's "Shin-gunto" Sword ? and photos House clearance find  

Japanese Officer's "Shin-gunto" Sword ? and photos House clearance find   Japanese Officer's "Shin-gunto" Sword ? and photos House clearance find  

Japanese Officer's "Shin-gunto" Sword ? and photos House clearance find   Japanese Officer's "Shin-gunto" Sword ? and photos House clearance find  

Original but messed with as you say. Heavily cleaned and a repainted scabbard. It does have a pierced tsuba which is not the most common. Some good photos of the blade would help.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

some more photos
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Officer's "Shin-gunto" Sword ? and photos House clearance find   Japanese Officer's "Shin-gunto" Sword ? and photos House clearance find  

?

An old blade that appears to have been polished, shame about that. But at least an example of a family sword that was pressed into service during WW II.
    Japanese swords have become scarce so you did well.

Thank you all it cost £150 so wasnt so much money

It has been heavily sharpened as well as indicated by the notch next to the habaki.
    Ralph.

Japanese Officer's "Shin-gunto" Sword ? and photos House clearance find
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Rod
    ?

The blade has been buffed beyond repair and the brown finish on the fittings completely removed, that besides the horribly repainted scabbard. Not much value left, maybe a parts sword but even those would need some restoration. Only the handle remains somewhat viable. The menuki under the handle wrapping show a family crest (mon) which is very cool.

Sad end! I don't even want to see whether it's signed, the better the original blade the greater the tragedy.

Great period army pics though!

Rod

Thank you all for the info

You could clean the paint or repaint the scabbard and leave the blade sheathed and hang it on the wall. It would still make a display.
    Ralph.