Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Optics - Type 98 Light (weight) Theodolite

Article about: Here is one of my Type 98 Light (weight) Theodolites. Dated November 1941 and was manufactured by the Tokyo Optical Company, Ltd., or what has been known for the past several decades as Topc

Default Japanese Optics - Type 98 Light (weight) Theodolite

Here is one of my Type 98 Light (weight) Theodolites. Dated November 1941 and was manufactured by the Tokyo Optical Company, Ltd., or what has been known for the past several decades as Topcon.

This was used in laying artillery lines and surveying etc. It has the receptacle to take the optical grid illumination lamp which is shown in the post covering the Type 93 Battery Commanders Scope. This Lamp was used on many of the optical instruments.

There are two variations of this theodolite. One has 3 lugs on the front lens to receive the Type 98 Light (weight) Theodolite Periscope. This variation will be shown in the next post.

The complete set of accessories are shown. The small bar is for the special screws that secure the spirit levels.

The screw on bakelite eye piece is broken and I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction for two replacements. One for each of my units.

Also am looking for a tripod for the Type 98. If anyone has one for sale please contact me.

Japanese Optics - Type 98 Light (weight) TheodoliteJapanese Optics - Type 98 Light (weight) TheodoliteJapanese Optics - Type 98 Light (weight) TheodoliteJapanese Optics - Type 98 Light (weight) TheodoliteJapanese Optics - Type 98 Light (weight) TheodoliteJapanese Optics - Type 98 Light (weight) TheodoliteJapanese Optics - Type 98 Light (weight) TheodoliteJapanese Optics - Type 98 Light (weight) TheodoliteJapanese Optics - Type 98 Light (weight) TheodoliteJapanese Optics - Type 98 Light (weight) Theodolite

Awwww,

That is beautiful !

I don't know what else to comment.

Thank you for showing this fantastic item.

Cheers!
    Taka

?

A fantastic piece of kit , and real nice that it is complete ! I hope you find a tripod !
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...