Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese paybook?

Article about: Hi there everyone, I'm a newbie here but I'm hoping someone could help me. I've been going through a box of some of my grandad's old medals and things and I came across a Japanese booklet. F

Default Japanese paybook?

Hi there everyone, I'm a newbie here but I'm hoping someone could help me.

I've been going through a box of some of my grandad's old medals and things and I came across a Japanese booklet. From the research I've done the closest I've found is a Japanese paybook, but the front cover is a bit different, it has more characters on it and there's also a mirror inside, which might be an addition.

My grandad would never talk about his time in the UK Navy so I really have no background on where this came from or when it came into his possession, or perhaps it came from my great-grandad, I really have no idea so any information would be gratefully appreciated.

I hope its OK to post this here. Japanese paybook?Japanese paybook?Japanese paybook?Japanese paybook?Japanese paybook?

?

It is indeed a ww2 Japanese army paybook (Guntaitecho) all IJA soldiers were issued one. It included basic information on the soldier: name, DOB, address, superior/sub unit ID info., as well as his history with the unit he was in, unit transfers, unit movement, hospitalizations, battle participation, promotions. Although there is a section that includes pay entries, a lot of other information was entered.

You also appear to have a soldier's personal affects bag, it does not look like a official issue as there is no pattern or kanji on it (maybe field made), this would have been used by a soldier to carry personal effects like the paybook, photographs and awards issued to them.

You also have a rank patch which looks like the type that would have been worn on the shirt pocket, it indicates the rank of superior private.

?

This is not a Gunntaitechou, but a 俸給支拂證票 salary payment proof book.
    I'm not entirely sure what this was supposed to be but the rescript in it (third picture) talks about cooperating with "Our Siamese allies and brothers" and "set an example to Siamese civilians and military alike", so it probably has something to do with IJA stationed in allied Siam. The spreadsheet seems to be about the pay for (an) individual unit(s), not individuals.

Thank you both for your help, now I'm very intrigued by it all. I thought it was a bit different to the other examples I'd seen. I have taken a couple of other pictures of it; one is the paper attached to the mirror, I can't open it entirely due to the water damage, the other is the card pocket from around the mirror, the quality isn't the best as it's embossed onto such a dark colour but would you mind taking a look at these too?

Japanese paybook?Japanese paybook?Japanese paybook?

?

An interesting and very uncommon IJA booklet to come across. Thanks for sharing!

Tom

Hi,

In photo #4, the handbook was for the individual (all rank)who stayed in Thailand.

泰國駐留(??)將兵必携 (Tai Koku Chyuu-Ryuu Shou Hei Hikkei) - Thailand stationing Officers and Men' s Notebook

Regards,
    Taka

Thanks for all your help

lilliang1
    ?

Default Japanese pay-book and personal box

I also have a Japanese pay-book. My Grandfather brought it home from WW2 as well as a wooden box with binoculars, artillery, wire along with this book. I would like to know who this belonged to and possibly return it all to the family. Would this log have all of that personal information so that I might find someone to look at it. I sent it to a Japanese society who did some of the interpreting and he directed me to this web site. I am enclosing a few pictures.Japanese paybook?Japanese paybook?Japanese paybook?Japanese paybook?Japanese paybook?[ATTACH=CONFIG]980842

lilliang1
    ?

Default Japanese pay-book and personal box

Here are a few additional pictures of the front cover of the pay-book and the box. Has anyone seen anything like this?

Japanese paybook?Japanese paybook?Japanese paybook?

MAP
    ?

Welcome to the forum. Personally I think it would be near impossible to track down the family but hopefully others can provide some information for you ( I suggest you start a separate thread on this item). Also the pictures with writing are sideways which will make it difficult for some of the members to read.

Good luck.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast