Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese paybooks

Article about: Hi everyone, I would love to know something about the soldiers who owned these paybooks. Can a Japanese speaker help me out? Any help appreciated. Douglas

Default Japanese paybooks

Hi everyone, I would love to know something about the soldiers who owned these paybooks. Can a Japanese speaker help me out? Any help appreciated.

Here is book no.1.

Douglas
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese paybooks   Japanese paybooks  

Japanese paybooks   Japanese paybooks  

Japanese paybooks  

and the second one;
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese paybooks   Japanese paybooks  

Thanks for the sharp focused photos.
    There isn't much to say about the second pass book, made out to a Tadashi Okudera born 12th Feb. 1915 of Kamaishi Iwate Prefecture. He duly reported for military service at the age of 20, but was not taken and was put into Second Tier National Military Service on 1st Dec 1935 (See post 17 of this thread about this status). He was otherwise in reserve and saw no military action.

The first one is named to a Itoh (his first name can be read in too many ways to be worth translating Isao among them) born 5th Jan. 1923, hailing from Toyohashi, Aichi Prefecture. He rose from Private 2nd class to corporal, thanks to his moderate level of education (school of commerce).

He was conscripted to serve in the 180th Manchurian Unit on 10th March 1944, transferred to the 14th Inft Rgt., landed in Pussan Korea in early April, promoted to private first class on 10th June in Eastern Manchuria where he was a member of the garrison, advancing further to corporal in December. Then 10th Feb. 1945, he was transferred to the 7th Aviation Training Unit. Landed back in Japan on 14th Feb., where he took up his post at HQ and was discharged on 31st May. Recalled into active service on 1st June and posted to 7th Company.

伊藤勇雄
    Itō Isao

名古屋師營
    Camp: Nagoya

歩兵
    Branch: Infantry

二等兵
    go-nitōhei
    Acting Corporal; he was a leading private (nitohei) per the stamped entry, then 伍 was printed to replace the rank

愛知県豊橋市小松町字南郷
    三六番地

Aichi Prefecture Toyohashi City Komatsu Town Nango
    No 36

大正十二年
    5 January 1923
    ===
    I'll just do two lines of the record:
    昭和一九年三月十日 満州第百八十部隊要員現役兵として中部第2部隊に入營O
    10 March 1944 assigned to Manshu 180th Regiment as active duty soldier, assigned to 2nd Bn.

四月一日歩兵第十四連隊轉属を命すO
    1 April reassigned to 14th Infantry Regiment

--Guy

I just spend too much time on research. I guess I'd better learn Japanese soon .....

Thanks for your great translation, Nick!

--Guy

Thanks very much to Nick and Guy for their trouble, I am very grateful. I have had these for years and always wondered about who they might have belonged to.