Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Police Parade Sword Help Please

Article about: I picked up a fairly ill cared for Japanese sword which I believe to be original. I believe it is a Japanese Police Parade sword. There is a tiny bit of wiggle in the handle. Any help is app

Default Japanese Army Parade Sword Help Please

I picked up a fairly ill cared for Japanese sword which I believe to be original. I believe it is a Japanese Police Parade sword. There is a tiny bit of wiggle in the handle. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
    John

Japanese Police Parade Sword Help PleaseJapanese Police Parade Sword Help PleaseJapanese Police Parade Sword Help PleaseJapanese Police Parade Sword Help PleaseJapanese Police Parade Sword Help PleaseJapanese Police Parade Sword Help PleaseJapanese Police Parade Sword Help PleaseJapanese Police Parade Sword Help PleaseJapanese Police Parade Sword Help PleaseJapanese Police Parade Sword Help PleaseJapanese Police Parade Sword Help Please
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Police Parade Sword Help Please  
    Last edited by Rescue190; 08-15-2018 at 12:33 PM.

Hello John, I believe the 10 petal cherry blossom is an indicator of an Army sword.Most Police swords typically wear the five petal blossom and usually will have one of 11 different police badges on the pommel area.It would appear that (someone who probably had good intentions) attempted to "clean it up" using something akin to Brasso which is a GIANT NO NO!! it will wipe the gilding right off!! In any case it is a nice find especially with the blade washer intact!

Regards, Geoff

Thank you Geoff. Would I be correct with stating it is a Japanese Army Type 19 Company Grade Kyu-gunto Sword. WW2 period correct? I am still not able to tell if machine made blade or other. Would that make much difference in collectability or is it gone with the cleaning? I was disappointed in the possible cleaning thinking the hand grip might patina differently from the oils but the pics make it much more clear that it has been cleaned than in hand.
    John

John,
    You have the Type down perfectly! The blade is machine-made, and the temper line is artificially applied, but that is standard with Type 19s as they were dress, or "parade", swords and not really made for combat. Value should be normal.

John,
    Machine made blades are much easier to produce than hand forged pieces.Most dress swords are Nickel/Chrome plated (Like a car Bumper or wheel rim) if you notice in the pic of your sword point, the plating has flaked off revealing the steel beneath Likely from someone stabbing or whacking something.I believe most damage to edged weapons is caused by children or people who have been drinking. Here is a simple way to describe the difference between machine made and hand forged items.Hand forged will display a grain sort of like wood does from the folding process.Machine made does not display this as it is drawn out like pulling taffy. I hope this makes sense? Here are a couple of pics.The blade with the Tsuba is machine made and the one with the blue background is a hand forged piece.I think you will get the general idea.

Regards, G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Police Parade Sword Help Please   Japanese Police Parade Sword Help Please  

Thank you Geoff. Very informative and thank you for posting comparative pics. Awesome swords BTY.
    John