Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese sake cup

Article about: Hello everyone, Let me start by saying I have zero knowledge in this field. I recently picked up some items during a trip to Japan and would like opinions on whether this Japanese sake cup i

?

Default Japanese sake cup

Hello everyone,

Let me start by saying I have zero knowledge in this field. I recently picked up some items during a trip to Japan and would like opinions on whether this Japanese sake cup is good and a translation if possible.

Thanks

Alex
    Japanese sake cupJapanese sake cup

To a soldier named Nishikawa

歩十八
    一?記念

Ho 18
    18th Infantry [Regiment]
    1? Commemoration

Bottom"
    西川
    Nishikawa

--Guy

?

Thanks Guy, much appreciated.

一?記念 in Guy's post says 一現記念

This means he was a teacher. Teacher's had a specially shortened 6-month military service for a time, but this was extended to 1 year from 1919.
    Read post 2 of this thread The Evolution of Army Uniform Marking Regulations (1886-1945)

?

Thanks Nick.

Sorry for my ignorance but were these for military or civilian use and is it possible to roughly date it?

These cups were normally prepared at the time of discharge by the one leaving the army for giving out to former comrades, etc. Basically they were tokens of peacetime military service, as you didn't get discharged any more during WW2. This cup probably dates between 1919 and 1927, because the curtailed military service was a short lived thing.

?

Thanks Nick for the info. The lady who sold me this had several more in various patterns for sale cheaply which I'm now regretting not getting.

?

Nice cup. To bad you did not grab them all. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Sorry, but a minor correction is in order. See post 5 of this thread for the correct purpose of these discharge cups Presentation Bottle?