Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese samurai sword katana help please

Article about: Hello what are your thoughts on this sword i cant find any writing on the tang is it old?? valu?? thank you for your time and help Tony

?

Default Japanese samurai sword katana help please

Hello
    what are your thoughts on this sword
    i cant find any writing on the tang
    is it old??
    valu??
    thank you for your time and help
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese samurai sword katana help please   Japanese samurai sword katana help please  

Japanese samurai sword katana help please   Japanese samurai sword katana help please  

Japanese samurai sword katana help please   Japanese samurai sword katana help please  

?

Default more pics

pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese samurai sword katana help please   Japanese samurai sword katana help please  

?

Default last pics

last pics

Japanese samurai sword katana help please  

Due to the condition of the blade, very little can be determined about this blade. The tang is poorly formed indicating a blade of poor quality. Not all swords have signatures. Mass produced swords were seldom signed. The whole outfit is in very rough condition and missing parts to the mounts. Japanese swords, except for militaray blades, cannot be evaluated just from pictures. I will say that what you are showing is not worth much to a blade collector and little value to a military collector due to the overall condition.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

All I can ad is looks to be a Japanese ww2 sword in Army mounts I have had a couple over the years and wish I would have kept one I don't know a lot about them it could be machined arsenel made blade. I had one like it with no marks and another one a collector took apart in same mounts and by writing on it he said it was made in 17th century. Not to take anything away from what Bob said as he knows far more than I do and condition means a lot with these. timothy

The blade is earlier than WW2 as the black lacquer scabbard is feudal period as it was worn by a samurai. This can be determined by the spot on the scabbard where there is a cut-out and the area is not lacquered. This was for the kurikata, a piece that held the sageo or cord used by the samurai to afix the sword to his sash. When a samurai would fight with his sword, the sageo was removed and used to tie back the sleeves of his garment making his arms free for use.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

That's interesting to know thanks for the knowledge maybe I let mine go too cheap oh well you live and learn. timothy

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    .... the sageo or cord used by the samurai to afix the sword to his sash. When a samurai would fight with his sword, the sageo was removed and used to tie back the sleeves of his garment making his arms free for use.
    More often, the sageo was used to lash the saya/scabbard to the obi; this technique is seldom taught today:
    1. Allow the sageo to hang freely from the kurigata/knob.
    2. Pull the sageo rearwards and over the back-rear of the saya so it hangs between the saya and body.
    3. Pull the free end snuggly down, then forward, around, up and over the top of the saya, between the tsuba and body. Allow the free end to hang.
    4. Repeat above steps. This process makes a "figure 8" lashing and is very secure.

Other swordsmanship styles do not proceed beyond step 2.

Still other styles -- and most modern versions of swordsmanship -- run the sageo directly from the kurigata to the right side of the body and secure it with a slip knot, leaving a loose bend between scabbard and knot.

I was taught long ago about using the sageo as a tasuki ("helper") to tie the kimono sleeves out of the way -- it's too complicated to write out the instructions ... but quite easy to show someone how to do it. You end up with a nice bow either at the center of your back or on the front of your left shoulder.

Cheers!
    --Guy

?

Hello
    thank you so very much for the help and info
    much appreciated
    Tony