Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Samurai Sword signed and naval stamped. pls help

Article about: I received this sword from the daughter of a ww2 American soldier at a garage sale about 15yrs ago. I was told this a Naval Officers Sword during WW2 and it was made by a company called Shar

Matthewmeyernj
    ?

Default Japanese Samurai Sword signed and naval stamped. pls help

I received this sword from the daughter of a ww2 American soldier at a garage sale about 15yrs ago.
    I was told this a Naval Officers Sword during WW2 and it was made by a company called Shari Sai. Can anyone please help me identify what the signature says? Thank you Japanese  Samurai  Sword  signed and  naval  stamped. pls helpJapanese  Samurai  Sword  signed and  naval  stamped. pls helpJapanese  Samurai  Sword  signed and  naval  stamped. pls helpJapanese  Samurai  Sword  signed and  naval  stamped. pls help

Default Re: Japanese Samurai Sword signed and naval stamped. pls help

The stamp and "kanji" are totally unrecognizible to me. These appear as either scratched in, or made with a pre-formed stamp. All tang inscriptions that I've ever seen were engraved with the triangular tip of a chisel. Sometimes the engravings look like just a series of connected triangles; others are more elegant. The example you present doesn't look like what I've seen before.

Perhaps someone with more sword handling experience will have an alternate explanation.

--Guy

?

I need to flip this. Just can't do these laying on my side anymore.

Regards,
    Stu
    Japanese  Samurai  Sword  signed and  naval  stamped. pls help

?

May I see a close clear photo of the stamp correctly oriented in the manner I have shown? I'd also like to see a photo of the entire nakago (tang) and throat of the saya (scabbard).

and,

Are there any seppa (washers) that sat on either side of the tsuba (black hand guard)?

Thanks,
    Stu

Matthewmeyernj
    ?

Hey thank you for your responses. I will take some more pictures tomorrow of the blade. here's all the pictures I have.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese  Samurai  Sword  signed and  naval  stamped. pls help   Japanese  Samurai  Sword  signed and  naval  stamped. pls help  

Japanese  Samurai  Sword  signed and  naval  stamped. pls help  

The blade is definitely a stainless steel factory made blade. The two kanji are quite unusual and I do not recognise them either.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Hi,

I agree with Bob, the blade is a genuine stainless steel blade, however the kanji script style appears to be in the fancy notation which i cannot recollect the right term for.
    If no one here can help, as i also am not familiar with it, then try the Nihonto Message board. It is a forum much like this where they are familiar with the script being used.

Ernst

PS/ Not trying to be rude to any one here at all, just trying to assist the poster with his dilemma.

?

Quote by Matthewmeyernj View Post
    Can anyone please help me identify what the signature says?
    A Type 97 Guntō with an encircled anchor mark.
    伊奈波 = Inaba.
    Last edited by Kiipu; 04-20-2023 at 02:48 AM.