Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese signed photo translation

Article about: Have this ww2 japanese signed photo has writing on back of photo wondering if anyone could translate?unknown year taken or location

?

Default Japanese signed photo translation

Japanese signed photo translationJapanese signed photo translation Have this ww2 japanese signed photo has writing on back of photo wondering if anyone could translate?unknown year taken or location

MAP
    ?

Writing is upside down..
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Looking at it the right way, my wife thinks the kanji on the right (closest to the edge) it is 18th year, tenth month and tenth day. The other is a name. Not much help I know, best wait for those who can translate better.

She is not sure of the 18th year as it is partially covered by the black paper.

Nice picture btw. I think the rank is private but would need to double check.

Michael

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

I think that is sometime in Oct 1943. Maybe Oct 4th?

Once again. Wait for the experts...

Edit: I think I'm way off on the month and day.

And the rank is "Leading Private/Lance Corporal"

Quote by MAP View Post
    Looking at it the right way, my wife thinks the kanji on the right (closest to the edge) it is 18th year, tenth month and tenth day.
    Buy the lady a nice dinner! She's right.

昭和十八年十月十日
    Shōwa Jūhachi-Nen, Jū-Gatsu, Tō-Ka
    1943, October 10th

Because of the way Japanese count items/animals/things/days, etc .... the 10th of the month, 十日, is pronounced Tō-Ka instead of Ju-Nichi.
    1st - Tsuitachi
    2nd - Futsu-ka
    3rd - Mi-ka
    4th - Yo-ka
    5th - Itsu-ka
    6th - Mui-ka
    7th - Nano-ka
    8th - Yō-ka [extended vowel, we "furriners" often mispronounce the 4th and 8th!]
    9th - Kokono-ka [my favorite ... it sounds so cooool]
    10th - Tō- ka
    20th - Hatsu-ka

竹川豊一
    Takekawa Toyokazu

二十才
    Hatachi
    Twenty years old
    [again with the Japanese numbering system ... this time for ages. 20 is "hatachi" whereas 21 is "nijui'ssai" ... don't bother for an explanation; I don't recall there being one.]

--Guy

I wonder if he survived the war? Probably not, since his photo ended up in somebody's scrapbook, it looks like.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

MAP
    ?

Thanks Guy. And she even read it upside down...LoL.

She knows the basic Kanji being Chinese. Dates and simple phrases are simple but has a hard time translating names.

Given Hirohito came to the throne on the 25th of December I wasn't sure if all days were pushed back 6 days. Thus my guess of Oct 4th.

Quote by MAP View Post
    Given Hirohito came to the throne on the 25th of December I wasn't sure if all days were pushed back 6 days. Thus my guess of Oct 4th.
    It's only the year that becomes "abbreviated." 25-31 December are Showa Gan'nen -- so the whole "first year" lasted but 7 days; Jan 1 would be Showa 2-nen.

Cheers,
    --Guy

MAP
    ?

Thanks Guy...good to know for the future. And it makes sense.