Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Standarte Flag?

Article about: Hi Guys, What do you make of this one? WW2? Standarte? never saw one before, supposedly brought back from a US Navy Vet. Thanks for any info!

Default Japanese Standarte Flag?

Hi Guys, What do you make of this one? WW2? Standarte? never saw one before, supposedly brought back from a US Navy Vet. Thanks for any info!
    Japanese Standarte Flag?Japanese Standarte Flag?

光州公立青年訓練場
    Kōshū [Gwanju Korea] Kōritsu Seinen Kunren-Jō
    Gwanji Public Youth Training Ground

And here I thought it may have been Japanese Naval, so this flag is from korea? is it military training of youth? I am just trying to figure out how it was brought back by a vet, or even if it was, and if it has any significance relating to WW2

Korea was a Japanese colony for 50 years; they induced Japanese culture, etc. upon the Koreans. This flag would have been [I presume] used by a school. It reminds me of the High School Baseball Club flags that are carried during ceremonies.

It would have been affixed to a pole and either carried, or displayed on a tripod; not flown on a flag pole.

note the tripod to the left of the image.

--Guy

That type of educational institution existed between 1926 and 1935. They were converted into youth schools at that time. All these schools had military style drills and school flags were without exception looking like military flags. Unlike the German counterparts all regimental banners were burned before surrender or Banzai attacks, so you will never come across regimental flags for sale. If you see one, the only chances are either a movie prop or a school flag. Also, it was forbidden to do any repair work on the banner itself of regimental banners, so all regiments that had long histories only had the purple fringes remaining and no trace of the white silk left. Only one regimental flag survived WW2, which is now in the Yasukuni Shrine.