Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Sword 2.info please.

Article about: This is the other Japanese sword I have, the cutting edge is about 27 inches. Sorry about the poor quality pictures it's not fit to take the pictures outside. Thanks for any help z4.

Default Japanese Sword 2.info please.

This is the other Japanese sword I have, the cutting edge is about 27 inches.

Sorry about the poor quality pictures it's not fit to take the pictures outside.

Thanks for any help z4.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Sword 2.info please.   Japanese Sword 2.info please.  

Japanese Sword 2.info please.   Japanese Sword 2.info please.  

Japanese Sword 2.info please.   Japanese Sword 2.info please.  

Japanese Sword 2.info please.  

Default Re: Japanese Sword 2.info please.

Anyone help with this.

Thanks z4

?

It is an old blade in Military mounts. I believe made during the feudal period. Before 1600. Understand that age alone does not make a sword valuable. It will be the maker and or school attributed to it. There were more than a million Japanese swords brought back to the USA during and after WWII dating from 1000 up to 1945. It is not uncommon to find an old blade.
    I believe Mr. Coleman could tell you much more than I.
    I believe the kanji (writing) is upside down. But I am not good at translation.
    SteveR

After looking at the blade again I believe from the style of the straight temper line all the way back to the tang it is from the shinto period.
    SteveR
    Last edited by SteveR; 01-01-2011 at 05:32 PM.

?

Hi Steve , it looks to be an original sword , but has the Tsuba ( crossguard ) got a small opening in it ( on the side not seen in the photo ) ? There would have been a small leather strap with a snap button on it that was used to retain the sword in the scabbard , this would have wrapped around the Tsuka (handle /grip ) just above the crossguard , then passed through the opening in the Tsuba , then snapped on to the press studs that can be seen in the photo showing the leather cover on the scabbard . The Fuchi ( the sleeve at the base of the handle ) is not a standard military fitting but that does not mean it`s not original to the Tsuka ! Has there been something coated on the Tsuba and the blade /tang ?
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Alan not sure what you mean by has it been coated, I don't know much about the sword someone fetched it in my mates gun shop in Manchester and I had a bit of spare cash so I bought it.

I have taken the handle off again and it does not look like there is anything coated on the tang it might be the light when the picture was taken.

I have attached another picture of the Tsuba, do you have any idea what the inscription means.

Thanks z4.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Sword 2.info please.  
    Last edited by zephyr4; 01-02-2011 at 12:36 PM.

?

Hi Steve , yes that`s the opening i was referring to . What looks like a silver coating must be a reflection from the flash ! It will help if you photograph the inscription the right way up ( with the point of the sword facing up ) and in natural light .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

New picture of the tang, I took this out side but it still does not look the right colour which is a darkish brown.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Sword 2.info please.   Japanese Sword 2.info please.