Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Japanese Sword

Article about: Hello all, I bought this sword about a year ago and i am just now getting around to taking some pictures. I have little knowledge in the area and was hoping someone could help me out. The ti

?

Default Re: Japanese Sword

Looking back over the kanji I think Guy will be able to translate them from what is there.

Regards,
    Stu

?

Stu,

Thank you VERY much for the response. I really appreciate the information. I have loved japanese militaria since I started collecting, but have yet to add many pieces. This is one of my big pieces for my Japanese collection. I will save the links to the websites you provided so I can start learning for myself. I hope that Bob can help shed some more light on the sword. I am very eager to hear what he has to say. Again, thank you so much for the help!

?

Bob will be the one to comment on any possible damage to the boshi. The boshi is the hamon pattern on the tip or kissaki on Japanese swords. My eyes are not good enough to tell from that photo if it's fatally damaged or if it's repairable. Can you advise if the tip of the sword has been broken off through the boshi or did it break ahead of that point leaving it intact?

I happen to know Bob is spending some quality time with an old friend from the Nihonto world this evening so he may not get around to the thread till tomorrow but his opinion will be worth waiting for I am sure.

Regards,
    Stu

?

Here's a link to some photos depicting boshi.

Boshi

Regards,
    Stu

?

I believe that the tip broke off before the boshi. I have attached a zoomed in photo of the broken tip. The photo is a little blurry but I believe it shows the break and the fact that it breaks before the boshi.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Sword  

?

Hi Doug,

If that's the case it's good news. I see from your profile you are in Florida. While we wait for Bob's comment I'll direct you to the site of a fellow named Moses Becerra. He is one of two classically trained sword polishers in the US that I would trust with repairing a good sword. Moses recently relocated to Florida, after serving the Nihonto world for many years out of his New York location, and it may be worth your while calling him and arranging to let him view the sword in hand. If anyone can repair it he can. He's honest as the day is long and will also tell you if it's not worth doing. If he does decide to take it on don't expect it any time soon though. He's in such high demand that a wait of 12 months isn't out of the question for a repair/polish.

Japanese Swords Japanese Sword Information Antique Japanese Sword Japanese Samurai Swords Japanese Katana Swords Japanese Swords For Sale Nihonto japanese sword polishing

Regards,
    Stu

Default A Day In May, 1943

This has been a tough nut to crack ... and I've not been successful.

濃州 北原[*] 博正作

(su*) [No?]Shu Kitahara ..Hiromasa Saku
    Noshu [Mino Provence], Kitahara [?]hiromasa Made (this).

*The "su" might be some sort of QA stamp? I've not seen this before.

On the mune (back) of the nakago (tang)
    山本
    Yamamoto

Note: I'm not sure of the 濃 character in "Noshu".

Sorry!
    --Guy

?

When i bought the sword the seller told me the same thing about the wait times. He did not direct me to Moses directly, but in general said that wait times for sword repairs could be up to and more than a year to get a sword repaired. It definitely is something for me to look into. I am in no rush so 12 months, even though it is long, would not be that bad to wait. Do you have any idea of what a repair would run me? Obviously for me to repair the sword it would have to mean that the value of the sword was greater than the cost of the sword and the repair.

?

Moses would have to see it in hand to give you a cost. Polish will be about 100 USD an inch of blade and the kissaki repair would add extra as reshaping would be required. Just don't be fooled by anyone trying to sell you on a "touch up" polish/repair. I've seen nice star stamped gendaito sell for 3500 USD. Not knowing what you paid I can't comment on if it's worth it to you until the repair cost is known but as you are both in Florida it can't hurt to have him look at it. Worst case scenario is that it isn't worth doing and you enjoy it just as it is. There's nothing wrong with that.

Regards,
    Stu

?

Default Re: A Day In May, 1943

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    This has been a tough nut to crack ... and I've not been successful.

濃州 北原[*] 博正作

(su*) [No?]Shu Kitahara ..Hiromasa Saku
    Noshu [Mino Provence], Kitahara [?]hiromasa Made (this).

*The "su" might be some sort of QA stamp? I've not seen this before.

On the mune (back) of the nakago (tang)
    山本
    Yamamoto

Note: I'm not sure of the 濃 character in "Noshu".

Sorry!
    --Guy
    Thanks for a great start! I have absolutely NO knowledge of translating Kanji so I had no idea where to start. Are those the makers names? Places where the sword was made?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast