Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Japanese Sword

Article about: Hello all, I bought this sword about a year ago and i am just now getting around to taking some pictures. I have little knowledge in the area and was hoping someone could help me out. The ti

Default Re: Japanese Sword

Okay .... I'm stupid! Found it! The kanji I couldn't make out is (juu/reside). I found it in another book I saw today at Kinokunia: The Yasukuni Swords: Rare Weapons of Japan, 1933-1945, p. 25. This page shows a sword made recently by a former Yasukuni smith, and his writing of is exactly the same. So, mystery solved!!

I normally recognize , but this stylistic form had two extra strokes instead of a single long stroke. Anyway, I was thumbing through the book and there the kanji was, right in front of me!!!

So, your entire tang should say something like this:

濃州北原住博正作

"su" Noshu Kitahara Juu Hiromasa Saku

[su] Made by Hiromasa, Resident of Kitahara, Noshu [Mino Province]. Do you notice that the word order is almost entirely opposite that of the English? That makes Japanese "fun!" .... not!

Regards,
    --Guy

Quote by dramos View Post
    Bob, your presence in this thread is greatly appreciated! I tried to edit my pictures so they were the right way up but I must have missed one. So this sword would have been a sword specifically made for an officer during the war?
    The province of Noshu for hundreds of years had produced swords in what is known as the Mino tradition. It was the last of the five basic sword making schools going back to the 1400's. During the rise of Japanese militarism, a large industry of sword making arose in this area. The majority of blades made during this time are usually referred to as Showato(machine made blades from the Showa era).It was the main supplier of sword blades for the Japanese military. Your sword blade would be one of those.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Bob,

I was under the impression that machine made blades did not have the boshi, and mine does. Am I wrong in thinking that?

?

Guy,

Thank you so much! I am going to write this down and keep it next to the corresponding pictures of the kanji!

Bob,

I was under the impression that machine made blades did not have the boshi, and mine does. Am I wrong in thinking that?
    In a word, yes. The point of a katana is the leading edge of the cut and would be useless without a temper-even with non traditional oil tempered blades. There is a lot of bad information that circulates about Japanese swords.
    BOB

?

So was this blade made by a machine, or by hand with the help of a machine? Please excuse my lack of knowledge in this area, but it is all sort of confusing.

So was this blade made by a machine, or by hand with the help of a machine? Please excuse my lack of knowledge in this area, but it is all sort of confusing.
    To answer your question properly, only a hands on inspection would provide the answer.
    BOB

?

Ok, well I will try to get it to Moses, as Stu suggested and see what he has to say about it. I appreciate the help Bob! All the info I have been given by you, Stu and Guy has been awesome! Thanks so much guys!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234