Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese Sword

Article about: Chaps, this sword is in our museum, it was presented to one of our officers when the Japanese surrendered. I have asked the curator for more pics. But from these two can anyone give any info

Default Japanese Sword

Chaps, this sword is in our museum, it was presented to one of our officers when the Japanese surrendered. I have asked the curator for more pics. But from these two can anyone give any info on it?

Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Sword  
    Attached Images Attached Images Japanese Sword 
    Ben

?

I think We are going to have to have a few close ups here Ben when the guy gives You them.My old eyes can just about make out a NCO aluminium handled factory made sword with what looks like the correct sword knot on it.Some close ups should show some arsenal markings and maybe a number.I love these!!!

Many thanks for that, I will post pics when the come
    Ben

?

I must disagree, it looks more like a shin gunto officers sword to me due to the seppa (spacers) and the tsuka (handle) that appears to be wrapped unlike aluminum NCO swords which have the ito pattern machined into the tsuka. Also the saya (scabbard) has a leather field cover fitted. I cannot offer much more apart from these observations but I am sure Bob and Guy will be able to help you when you get some more pics, I am sure they will require a picture of the full tang with signature if this sword has one.

?

Hi Ben,

In my view it is most likely an IJA Officer Type 98 Shin-gunto and probably of non traditional manufacture. By that I mean it's not a hand forged blade. A Type 95 NCO sword would have the all metal tsuka and a barrel shaped leather knot would be the correct accoutrement.

Here is a link to some more info on the type.

JAPANESE MILITARY SWORDS - I

Regards,
    Stu

?

I agree with Stu , an Officer's type 98 shin gunto sword .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Again chaps many thanks for the info, I am trying to get it for the museum we have at our main depot, they are trying to catalogue all the items in there and make up information plaques as to what each item is etc
    Ben

?

From what I see I think it is an old blade.

Let's see what the nakago looks like ......

?

Yes, without that and some better pics of the blade it's far from certain.

Ben, if you need assistance removing the tuska (handle) let us know and we can walk you through it. In short though, tap the peg out and slide the tsuka off. Pegs are tapered so make sure to tap the small end otherwise you will wedge it in further. Also, if the tsuka does not come off easily resist the urge to pull on it lest you end up being referred to as Three Finger Ben.

Cheers,
    Stu
    PS: By the way, the nakago is what you TR collectors would call a tang.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast