Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Japanese Sword

Article about: Guys, Here is a sword that I bought, along with a Japanese bayonet, at a house sale yesterday from the cousin of the veteran. There is considerable surface rust on the blade but no heavy pit

?

Default Re: Japanese Sword

Thank you Bob, much appreciated.The sword is still a great find . I would think the saya inside would be totally contaminated too.I have myself tried to restore a saya and splitting after boiling.But never again.Maybe Hal, can let us know if the saya is made of Magnolia wood.

Cheer's , Mark

?

Bob, can I please just add to your earlier thread regarding the grooves or "HI" In most cases "HI" are added later to the blade in later polishings.They can be added also to the blade to hide/mask forging faults and to re-balance the blade.

Bob,can I ask a question about the handle.When fitting a new handle to an old blade.How do they locate the peg hole for drilling into the wood handle.I have books but this is not mentioned.

Cheer's Mark

Looks like a early 16th century, probably an ancestral sword carried by an officer in WW2. As Bob said a little known smith so not a big name. If the rust and pitting is not too deep might be worth restoring but in this current economic climate the money laid out for new polish and repatination on the mounts, etc, you might get back on a sale than you paid out in restoration unless you intend to keep it.

Quote by Mark View Post
    Bob, can I please just add to your earlier thread regarding the grooves or "HI" In most cases "HI" are added later to the blade in later polishings.They can be added also to the blade to hide/mask forging faults and to re-balance the blade.

Bob,can I ask a question about the handle.When fitting a new handle to an old blade.How do they locate the peg hole for drilling into the wood handle.I have books but this is not mentioned.

Cheer's Mark
    Mark-
    You are incorrect in the theory about hi. Yes, they could be added to hide flaws. However, in most cases, they were part of the original manufacture of the blade. Depending on the type of hi, there purpose could be for balance or religious significance. The nakago would be measured to locate the mekugin ana on a tsuka.
    This sword was not used in the military as it shows no sign on the saya of having either a leather cover or a clamped on mounting ring for the chain hanger. It was likely one of the blades confiscated following the surrender or possibly sold through a sword shop. I would agree that the cost of proper restoration would probably exceed the overall value in the long run. This piece would require proper Japanese trained restoration, not work of a self promoted Western sword restorer.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

The hi or groove can reduce the weight of the sword and reduce the possibility of the blade sticking to the flesh.

?

Hello Bob. I thought we were looking at this sword in "general" not as a huge generalization of the Japanese sword world . I do stand corrected in my term "in most cases" . Bob, I made no mention of a Military connection in my thread on this sword. Please in future address the appropriate people's threads ( individually ) and not just combine it all together with my name at the top.

Mark this should be said in a PM IMO dont taint the thread.

Eric

From those pics it looks like the mounts and tsuba has rust and corrossion like as though it has been buried for some considerable time. It was fairly common for people to bury swords in the aftermath of Japan's defeat in WW2 because of fear in confiscation of swords by allied forces.

?

Thank you Eric, I will stand down ! Apologizes to all.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3