Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Japanese Sword

Article about: Guys, Here is a sword that I bought, along with a Japanese bayonet, at a house sale yesterday from the cousin of the veteran. There is considerable surface rust on the blade but no heavy pit

Hal
    ?

Default Japanese Sword

Guys, Here is a sword that I bought, along with a Japanese bayonet, at a house sale yesterday from the cousin of the veteran. There is considerable surface rust on the blade but no heavy pitting and the tang is signed and dated. Thought you'd like to have a look. Best, Hal PS; The cousin told me that he cut the binding on the handle but couldn't remember why.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Sword   Japanese Sword  

Japanese Sword   Japanese Sword  

?

Default Re: Japanese Sword

Im not sure if this is Japanese or Chinese, the Dragon and Stork motif were i thought Chinese, as for the blade, there is a fuller along the blade, something that i didnt think was included in samurai swords, but i am probably wrong, its interesting that the scabbard shows no great signs of age yet the blade is rusting, im wondering if this has been replaced at some time, lets see what others say

Not post or pre ww2 japanese IMO looks like a modern chinese REPRO.
    Eric

A true Japanese samurai sword. I will need some time to decipher the kanji as parts of the charachters are missing due to rust. The vet likely cut the wrap looking for the "hidden jewels" which was a typical bad rumor that circulated among the GI's. The dual parallel grooves represent the Buddist gomabashi or sacred chopsticks. These are a common carving on Japanese blades.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

I stand corrected thanks Bob.

Eric

The signature is "Naminohira Tsugusada" an obscure smith from Satsuma Province in Southern Kyushu. I will see if I can find an example of his signature to see if it is correct. The date is impossible to read from the picture. The black color of the signature side of the tang plus the missing metal on the right side of the tang may indicate that this sword was in a fire and retempered. This can not be a certain conclusion without a hands on examination.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Hal
    ?

Thanks everyone for your comments. Best, Hal PS; Bob, thanks for taking the time to identify the smith...much appreciated!

?

A very nice sword Hal , Is there any chance of some close ups of the blade please ?
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Hal
    ?

Quote by Alan M View Post
    A very nice sword Hal , Is there any chance of some close ups of the blade please ?
    Hi Alan, Give me a day or two and I'll post better pics. Best, Hal

?

Awesome! looks like you scored! If you're lucky this might 19th century unless the said maker wasnt around then. maybe Bob knows the era of the maker? This would help to date it. Too bad the "jewels" are already taken! LOL! Maybe someone can re-wrap the handle for you. Also, I LOVE the tsuba (hand-gaurd) and the gilded tigers! Thanks for sharing this rough beauty.
    ~Dean

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast