MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese sword blade: help needed

Article about: I just picked up this Japanese sword at a show.I believe it to be a WW2, machine made blade, since there is no temper line visible .Could someone translate the charcters on the tang. Thanks

Default Japanese sword blade: help needed

I just picked up this Japanese sword at a show.I believe it to be a WW2, machine made blade, since there is no temper line visible .Could someone translate the charcters on the tang.
    Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese sword blade: help needed   Japanese sword blade: help needed  

Japanese sword blade: help needed   Japanese sword blade: help needed  

?

Hi Destroyah , the long line of kanji is the date - October 1944 , the two kanji on the other side of the tang is the signature - Michizane . The small mark is the Showa arsenal stamp .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Thanks.............is it a hand forged blade ?

Machine made by hand if that makes any sense. Not in the old style by a master blade smith. The Japanese had to get them out by the thousands. Be careful collection blades can be addictive. Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

It makes perfect sense, thanks. Too late on the blade addiction thing ; I probably need an intervention !!

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    Machine made by hand if that makes any sense. Not in the old style by a master blade smith. The Japanese had to get them out by the thousands. Be careful collection blades can be addictive. Marty
    And you can tell that from these photos?
    In my opinion, more and better photos would be required to determine this.
    The fact that it has a second hole in the tang suggests that it is an older blade re-handled for use in these fittings.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I moved this to the Japanese Militaria Subforum. All blades found in this pattern of the 1944 IJA mounts are factory machine made blades.
    Last edited by BOB COLEMAN; 01-07-2014 at 09:12 PM.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    I moved this t the Japanese Militaria Subforum. All blades found in this pattern of the 1944 IJA mounts are factory machine made blades.
    Are you sure about that Bob?
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Are you sure about that Bob?
    Ralph.
    Definitely. Gendaito are found in the pattern with a heavily lacquered wood scabbard and lacquered tsukaito. The pattern with the metal scabbard are always mass produced factory blades. I have seen 100's of these and never found an exception to the variance of the two patterns.
    BOB

These blades are always manufactured with two mekugi ana. The blade is also dated Showa 19 which is 1944 so it can not be an older blade.
    BOB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast