Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Sword Bring Back

Article about: Hey folks, had this sword offered from a guy I know. It is from a vets estate and supposedly came back after the war. Any thoughts or opinions on this one? Here is the information I was prov

Default Japanese Sword Bring Back

Hey folks, had this sword offered from a guy I know. It is from a vets estate and supposedly came back after the war. Any thoughts or opinions on this one? Here is the information I was provided

This is a Japanese sword wakizashi in mountings. The blade is signed "Choshu ju Fujiwara Kiyoshige saku 長州住藤原清重作", shinogi-zukuri shape, Edo period ca. 1750 era made blade. The blade is in old polish, no rust, no stain and in excellent condition. There is no bend, no nick, no crack and cutting edge is sharp. The temper line is wavy gnome temper pattern throughout the blade and has deep temper at the point. The forging grain is tight itame-hada. The scabbard is urushi lacquered wood scabbard, no dent, no crack and in good condition. Handle is tight, tsukaito wrapping is no loose and in good condition. Tsuba is marugata shape iron tsuba signed :Choshu Hagi ju Kawaji Tsugitsune saku 長州萩住 河治次恒作 " with nice patina.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Sword Bring Back   Japanese Sword Bring Back  

Japanese Sword Bring Back   Japanese Sword Bring Back  

Japanese Sword Bring Back  

It is difficult to read the kanji sideways. Please note this sticky thread:When Posting Japanese Sword Tangs For Translation
    If the photo is sharp and clear, I will give you what information I can on the swordsmith.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Bob-
    I'll drink to that! Sorry Jerry, I couldn't resist.

Best,

MichaelB

My apologies. This should help
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Sword Bring Back  

I guess my question is 1.) Is it really circa 1750 and is it worth the asking price at $1600. Also, is it logical that this would/could be a vet bring back?

Quote by JerryB52 View Post
    I guess my question is 1.) Is it really circa 1750 and is it worth the asking price at $1600. Also, is it logical that this would/could be a vet bring back?
    Although the clarity of the kanji is not super clear, this appears to be a genuine signature of a medium quality smith who worked in the mid 18th c. Please note that age has nothing to do with value. It is based upon the quality of the workmanship and over all condition. He is not a famous sword smith but the price appears fair as it appears to be in excellent polish. It is certainly possible this came back with a soldier after the war. All weapons were ordered to be confiscated at the beginning of the occupation. Swords were brought to local police stations and picked up by the occupation forces. These were stored in rooms where soldiers were allowed to take one or more home as souvenirs. Swords were also available to the occupation troops through professional sword merchants. I have owned swords that were brought back as late as the Korean War.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.