Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Japanese sword..... I took a gamble.

Article about: First off I will apologise if my photo's appear in the wrong orientation to that which is desired. Secondly, I know very little about Japanese swords and need all the help I can get. I am ho

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Larger screen, Bob, larger screen ... my eyes aren't "young" by any means! (^__*)

--Guy
    younger than mine anyway!
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thanks for all the info, and as I said...I know nothing about Japanese swords.
    D
    Last edited by rbminis; 12-03-2014 at 01:52 PM.

Quote by JERSEY 34 View Post
    Thanks for all the info, and as I said...I know nothing about Japanese swords.
    D
    I have edited your post to show respect.
    Please use the word Japanese in the future
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hi Ralph,
    What ever you think is best, did not realise this may cause offence.
    D

[QUOTE=JERSEY 34;1333301]Hi Ralph,
    What ever you think is best, did not realise this may cause offence.

D[/QUOTE

That is the reason for this sticky thread: Please Use The Word Japanese

Thanks for the edit Ralph.
    BOB

My grandmother, an otherwise sweet old lady, would often use the derogatory word over the full "Japanese". I think many of us grew up hearing people call our friends in Japan by the abbreviated word, and may assume it wasn't meant for offense. Sometimes words like that become part of the culture, so I can see it being an honest error myself. I was glad to see the linked thread though, showing we're all trying to better ourselves and be more courteous of our Japanese guests and contributors here. Thanks folks for making this effort.
    "Only a real risk tests the reality of a belief." - C.S. Lewis

Quote by avenger View Post
    My grandmother, an otherwise sweet old lady, would often use the derogatory word over the full "Japanese". I think many of us grew up hearing people call our friends in Japan by the abbreviated word, and may assume it wasn't meant for offense. Sometimes words like that become part of the culture, so I can see it being an honest error myself. I was glad to see the linked thread though, showing we're all trying to better ourselves and be more courteous of our Japanese guests and contributors here. Thanks folks for making this effort.
    I certainly understand that the term was used without knowing the historical racist background of the word. We all can only learn through education and information. The term was widely used in West Coast USA prior to the war much the way other offensive words were used in the South. The Hearst newspaper chain was infamous for such behavior which resulted in term "yellow journalism." Luckily, most of that type of behavior has disappeared through time and understanding.
    BOB

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    The term was widely used in West Coast USA prior to the war much the way other offensive words were used in the South.
    I didn't know that. I always assumed it came about from the war.

I was raised in the Midwest and have lived here all my life. In reflection, I'm pretty sure my grandmother meant the word as derogatory. There was a military hospital in my town at the time of WW2, and she would clean and work on German POW's teeth. I remember stories about that growing up, and how well the Germans were treated, how they could go out and work and had a measure of freedom. Oddly, she never had anything bad to say about the Germans, but when she would talk about the Japanese she was visibly upset in her facial expressions, even some 50+ years later. It takes time to heal wounds, that's for sure.
    "Only a real risk tests the reality of a belief." - C.S. Lewis

edit post ? is that were my opinion went to,as the 1st one to comment on it.

I as well would love to see a larger photo of the blade. It looks to have a nice temper line on it.

Charlie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12