Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese sword..... I took a gamble.

Article about: First off I will apologise if my photo's appear in the wrong orientation to that which is desired. Secondly, I know very little about Japanese swords and need all the help I can get. I am ho

Default Japanese sword..... I took a gamble.

First off I will apologise if my photo's appear in the wrong orientation to that which is desired. Secondly, I know very little about Japanese swords and need all the help I can get. I am hoping that this is not a Chinese copy or similar. From the little I know... or think I know, I thought this was a standard Japanese sword made in a factory rather than by a wordsmith. It looks like a military issue except I thought they had metal handles? Also when I took it from the scabbard I noticed it did not have a fuller as I expected or a serial number. Also it has the wavy line to the edge of the blade which I believe only occurs when the blade is layered and hammered. I don't know if such things happened but is this a family blade with military mountings?, I can't imagine this would have happened but it just strikes me as different. I noticed also that there appears to be some painted letters on the tang... maybe someone working on the blade? Shame some of the binding is missing from the handle.
    I am not expecting miracles, but it would be nice if this was not a total duff piece.
    All the best from Jersey
    D.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese sword..... I took a gamble.   Japanese sword..... I took a gamble.  

Japanese sword..... I took a gamble.   Japanese sword..... I took a gamble.  

A genuine Japanese sword. I can not make out the kanji on the nakago. Can you try a clearer picture possibly enhancing the kanji with some chalk or white powder? The painted symbol is the number 5, which is likely some form of asse3mbly number.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

谷川一心
    Tanigawa Isshin

谷川 慶治
    Tanigawa Keiji

Another of his here with a clearer signature.

--Guy

Hi Guy,
    So am I right in thinking that the sword appears to be a military issue but has in fact got a "proper blade" on it?
    D

?

Hi,

That's a Type 98 Army Officer Shin-gunto in rather salty condition. Without meaning to sound critical I'll mention that most of your assumptions about swords are incorrect.

"From the little I know... or think I know, I thought this was a standard Japanese sword made in a factory rather than by a wordsmith. It looks like a military issue except I thought they had metal handles? Also when I took it from the scabbard I noticed it did not have a fuller as I expected or a serial number. Also it has the wavy line to the edge of the blade which I believe only occurs when the blade is layered and hammered. I don't know if such things happened but is this a family blade with military mountings?, I can't imagine this would have happened but it just strikes me as different."

First, swords were made my sword smiths not word smiths. ... LOL ... I know ... just a typo but it gave me a chuckle.

The sword with the metal handle is the Type 95 Army NCO sword and if you have the time there is an article on them pinned above.

Type 98 were mostly made without a fuller although you will find one out there now and then with a fuller. Officer swords were not serial numbered as were the factory made NCO swords.

A hamon, the wavy line you refer to, can be present as a result of folding of the steel or even acid etching. It doesn't mean a blade is old or has been hammered.

As to it being a "family" blade. I would say no in the sense that it's not a traditionally made blade passed down from a Samurai relative.

What you have, in my view, is the icon sword for the IJA in the WW2 period. Enjoy it for what it is.

Regards,
    Stu

?

... and as I believe I see a Seki stamp on the blade you may find this link of interest ...

JAPANESE SHOWA ERA SWORDS

Regards,
    Stu

?

In case you don't see it ...

I would love to see a photo of the whole blade. From the one photo the blade looks good, not saying the blade is fake the blade is genuine. Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    谷川一心
    Tanigawa Isshin

谷川 慶治
    Tanigawa Keiji

Another of his here with a clearer signature.

--Guy
    I knew Guy would once agin come through. He has younger and sharper eyes!
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    I knew Guy would once agin come through. He has younger and sharper eyes!
    Larger screen, Bob, larger screen ... my eyes aren't "young" by any means! (^__*)

--Guy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast