Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Japanese sword ID

Article about: by Andrew i found a page showing the family crest. Steve is quite right, thats what it is. it just suprises me to see it on so many places on the sword, instead of the small silver disk i'm

?

Default Japanese sword ID

Hello Gents,
    i could use your help in helping me understand what this sword is . it has the look of the Russo-Japanese swords by its scabbard, and hilt latch. but the handle back strap is more like the colonial occupation sword having kikomon (sp?) insignia, that i think is for Korean colonial occupation.
    unlike my other dress swords this blade is actually sharp, and has a straight and narrow hamon line, about 1/8 inch wide down both sides of the edge. very plain unlike the fake hamon on the other dress sword that is wavy. the knot is a gold wire. i understand thats for higher ranks like general. any and all information would be welcome.
    thank you. andrew
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese sword ID   Japanese sword ID  

Japanese sword ID   Japanese sword ID  

Japanese sword ID  

?

Default Re: Japanese sword ID

You have a very nice dress Kyu Gunto officers factory made blade. Definitely not tempered like an old samurai blade even though it is sharp.
    It has a family mon that I do not recognize 3 times, on tne back strap and sides of the back strap of the grip which indicates a private purchase military sword probably company officer or higher rank. ( I am a little fuzzy on rank level here.) I believe this sword to have been made between 1875 to 1900.
    Steve

?

looks like an officers parade dress sword

?

thank you Steve. the crest is also on both sided of the 3 scabbard fittings too. i think it's odd to see a family crest like that, rather than the silver disk with the crest. i dont think it's an average parade sword.
    i found some place on line a while back that was about the honor knots. and the gold wire knot, was for generals as i remember. the only thing i found on that crest was for colonial occupation of Korea? so i'm hoping for some help.
    andrew

?

i found a page showing the family crest. Steve is quite right, thats what it is. it just suprises me to see it on so many places on the sword, instead of the small silver disk i'm use to seeing. the page i found shows the exact crest, but it shows the same crest for a different family too. put curser on the crest to get the info.
    my crest is in the top line about center, and again in the 3rd row right.. whats the deal ?
    Crests 1

Hi Andrew, gorgeous sword you have there. Is that a recent purchase of yours? You have a fantastic edged weapon collection.

Jay

?

Hi Jay,
    no i have had this sword around for years. i'm thinking of parting with it. it came with a nice katana.

?

Hi Andrew , you have a lovely naval sword there , i believe that the emblems you see on the grip and scabbard fittings are not a particular family mon but the mon of the Office of the Prime Minister . It also serves as the emblem of the cabinet and the government ( vis a vis the Chrysanthemum being the Imperial Seal of Japan ) . It is the Paulownia flower pattern ( go-shichi-no-kiri ) . This is just my personal opinion and i hope it is of some value
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Andrew , i`ve just found an image of the emblem
    Attached Images Attached Images Japanese sword ID 
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

hi Alan, and thank you. the emblem is close, but not quite. i found that one too called a chinese bell flower and a Paulownia flower but they have less flowers than mine. mine has 5 on each side and 7 in the center. i found an exact match on that link i posted marked Crests 1. there are two alike, check them out and let me know if you see the difference. putting the curser on the emblem gives you some info.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast