Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Sword ID

Article about: Would anyone be able to help me ID this suspected Japanese Sword? I found it in the hills in Hong Kong, which saw fighting at the end of 1941. The blade is broken, but there are some obvious

?

Default Japanese Sword ID

Would anyone be able to help me ID this suspected Japanese Sword?

I found it in the hills in Hong Kong, which saw fighting at the end of 1941.

The blade is broken, but there are some obvious features.
    The handle (please excuse my ignorance with the correct terminology) appears to be copper, with two Brass pins. It looks like the handle is fixed to the blade (I know some swords you can completely dismantle)

The blades only has one cutting edge, the back side is flat, but looks like it has taken a substantial whack (perhaps how the blade broke?).

Anyhow, I think it is an early war model, but could anyone confirm my beliefs?
    Excuse the photos, I only had my phone. I can post some more details should anyone need them.
    Thanks very much fellas.
    Japanese Sword IDJapanese Sword IDJapanese Sword IDJapanese Sword ID
    Last edited by banny; 06-08-2011 at 07:17 AM.

Default Re: Japanese Sword ID

This is definitely not part of a Japanese sword. The handle is incorrect as is the shape of the blade.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

That's what's left of a native Parang, or machete. Commonly known by the British Army as a 'Tree beater'.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Thanks very much for letting me know.

I thought something didn't quite add up. I found it far off the beaten path at the bottom of a small slit trench. From the level of corrosion and rust, I thought it must be ww2 era. It looks as though someone has tried to cut through a big log by smashing the back of it with a rock...... Something a Japanese NCO wouldn't dream off doing with his prized katana.

We did have both the Rajput and Punjabi's defending HK, so perhaps it came from them? as I don't believe it would be part a of the standard British or Canadian equipment, but I could well be wrong.

I'll have to search for a copper handled Parang.

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.
    Cheers