Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese sword: thoughts?

Article about: I have been sent some images of this sword. Could I have your thoughts please? Name? Thanks in advance! Cheers, Ade,

Default Japanese sword: thoughts?

I have been sent some images of this sword.

Could I have your thoughts please? Name?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Ade,
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese sword: thoughts?   Japanese sword: thoughts?  

Japanese sword: thoughts?   Japanese sword: thoughts?  

Japanese sword: thoughts?   Japanese sword: thoughts?  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

肥前国光廣
    Hizen [no] Kuni Mitsuhiro
    Mitsuhiro of Hizen Country

昭和十八年四月日
    Shōwa Juuhachi Nen Shigatsu Jitsu
    A Day in April, 1943

A "Star Stamp" is good!

His civilian name was:
    山口 光廣 (Yamaguchi Mitsuhirio) 1

He is classified as Mid-Upper Level smith and the 1 note above indicates he won a First Seat at the 1941 New Sword exhibition:

"...winners of the 6th Shinsaku Nihonto Denrankai (新作日本刀展覽會, 1941) were reported ...by Hagio Takahashi. From Special Honor Seats to the 5th seat (S: 特別名譽席 (鍛刀總匠), 1: 國工 ...."
    Source

So, his work was classified at National Level; BUT, that is NOT to say all his work was thus. Our panel of experts will want to see the entire blade before they say much; then, you'll get the caveat that the sword must be held in hand before a definite pronouncement can be made.

Here's more data from Markus Sesko's Index of Japanese Swordsmiths, p. 383 (German language; couldn't get the English version to open on the correct page):
    "Saga [Prefecture]; His civilian name was Yamaguchi Fukutarō (山口福太郎), born 1898, he studied under Kurihara Akihide (栗原明秀) and worked as a Rikugun Jumei Tōshō...."

Cheers,
    --Guy

The signature on this Showa era blade is a classic example of that of a true swordsmith compared against the chippy style found on Seki arsenal blades.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Brilliant! Thank you Guy.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!