Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Tanto

Article about: I picked this up yesterday for 5 bucks. I believe it to be original, however, is it WW2 era? Possibly field made? Thanks!

Default Japanese Tanto

I picked this up yesterday for 5 bucks. I believe it to be original, however, is it WW2 era? Possibly field made? Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Tanto  

Default Re: Japanese Tanto

Some more
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Tanto   Japanese Tanto  

Japanese Tanto   Japanese Tanto  

Japanese Tanto  

It is not a hand made blade and is likely just a utility knife. It could very well be from the WW2 era. It also could be a type of knife sold at the gift store at a Shinto shrine to be used as a shrine gift. It is apparent that the blade tang is quite narrow and unfinished which would never be found on a genuine tanto.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Bob, I still like it a lot! It was $5, lol! I was just hoping it is WW2 era! I love my Japanese peeps! I should post some of my flags for you to evaluate. I lived with a Japanese fellow for 2 years in college and admire them very much! My research has shown that it could fit into the WW2 era.

?

I vote for utility knife too and look forward to seeing your flags.

Much of what I have learned about flags came through generous mentoring by Dr. Mike Bortner. Are you familiar with him? He resides in sunny Florida and authored what is considered to be the primary reference book on Good Luck flags and 1000 Stitch belts more correctly known as Yosegaki Hinomaru and Senninbari.

Here is a link to his site ...

Get History Today - Home

He can also be found over on WAF under the name MikeB.

Regards,
    Stu

I appreciate the responses! A utility knife is cool in my book! Do you think it's from WW2? My seller has hooked me up with many bring-back flags and this knife. Most have come out of the same house and were green lighted here.

?

I wouldn't be able to say. Even an in hand examination might not be able to narrow the time frame to a few specific years.

Interestingly I had two almost identical knives some years ago, both held together with mekugi, and both made in Sweden. I thought they were Japanese at first glance but learnt later they were not. I suspect this sort of knife could also have been made in any number of Asian countries during or prior to the WW2 period.

Regards,
    Stu

?

Before leaving this thread I'll jump back to the flag issue for a moment and add in this rather quickly done snapshot of the book I mentioned.
    Japanese Tanto

Being I'm friends with the seller and the flags that came with it, I believe it to be WW2. It came from a dead vet's estate.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Tanto