Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese Tanto Help Needed Reading Marking

Article about: I am posting this for a friend of mine that just got this tanto. I wanted to share it with my friends here at the forum. I was hoping Mr. Coleman would be able to read the markings for us an

Default Japanese Tanto Help Needed Reading Marking

I am posting this for a friend of mine that just got this tanto. I wanted to share it with my friends here at the forum. I was hoping Mr. Coleman would be able to read the markings for us and maybe help date it. Thanks in advace for your help it is much appreciated. I almost forgot to say he said there are about 40-50 pieces of rice paper tucked under the grip with japanese characters on it. Thanks, Robert
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Tanto Help Needed Reading Marking   Japanese Tanto Help Needed Reading Marking  

Japanese Tanto Help Needed Reading Marking   Japanese Tanto Help Needed Reading Marking  

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TNcollector; 07-10-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Default Re: Japanese Tanto Help Needed Reading Marking

The characters do not make any sense. I am also trying to read this sideways. When posting a Japanese blade tang, it should be vertical with the cutting edge at the top and the tang end at the bottom. Tell your friend not to try pulling the paper out from under the wrap further. He will only damage the handle wrapping. Scrap paper was moistened and used as padding under the handle wrap by the artisan. There is nothing mysterious about the the scrap paper.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thnaks for your reply Mr.Coleman it is greatly appreciated. I will let him know not to pull the paper out of the grip. I just rotated the picture and reposted it, don't know if it will help or not. Thanks for taking the time to look at it. Thanks, Robert
    Attached Images Attached Images Japanese Tanto Help Needed Reading Marking  Japanese Tanto Help Needed Reading Marking 
    Last edited by TNcollector; 07-11-2012 at 05:22 AM.

It messed up the size of the photo when I rotated it. I can try to get him to send me another picture tomorrow and post it. Thanks, Robert

?

Nice Tsuba.
    Lets see some pics of the blade too.

Thanks scout, I would post some more pics of the blade but I do not have the sword on hand my friend has it. Here are a couple more pictures on the tand he darkened the contrast in one of the pictures becasue he thought it might be easier to read. Thanks for your help, Robert
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Tanto Help Needed Reading Marking   Japanese Tanto Help Needed Reading Marking  

The new pictures will help. It appears that not all of the strokes in the kanji are showing with the chalk. The last characer is tsaku which means made this. I will try and work on this later today when I return.
    BOB

Thanks Mr.Coleman your help is greatly appreciated by me and my friend both.

It reads "Kiku Ichimon ? Ju It is not a sword maker's name unless he is using some form of "pen name." The last character I misidentified from the earlier pictures. Ju means residing at. It does not make any sense and appears to be incomplete. Possibly can be read in hand.
    BOB

Thanks again Mr.Coleman for taking the time to translate in, will pass the information on to my friend. I hope one day I will able to translate the characters like you. I just orderd my first book on sword of imperial Japan, so I can start learning some more about them. Thanks, Robert

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast