Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Tropical Shirt, Sergeant Tabs and Infantry Branch Insignia

Article about: Hey Everyone, Just picked up this shirt from an auction. Working through Heitai by Saiz just want some opinions on it. My question would be, are the collar tabs and branch insignia original

?

Default Japanese Tropical Shirt, Sergeant Tabs and Infantry Branch Insignia

Hey Everyone,

Just picked up this shirt from an auction. Working through Heitai by Saiz just want some opinions on it. My question would be, are the collar tabs and branch insignia original to the shirt or added later by a collector? Also, there are different penciled numbers throughout the shirt, "24, 25" and "27", anyone have any thoughts on these (I can post more pictures if needed).

Thanks, Tim T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Tropical Shirt, Sergeant Tabs and Infantry Branch Insignia   Japanese Tropical Shirt, Sergeant Tabs and Infantry Branch Insignia  

Japanese Tropical Shirt, Sergeant Tabs and Infantry Branch Insignia   Japanese Tropical Shirt, Sergeant Tabs and Infantry Branch Insignia  

Japanese Tropical Shirt, Sergeant Tabs and Infantry Branch Insignia   Japanese Tropical Shirt, Sergeant Tabs and Infantry Branch Insignia  

Rod
    ?

Hi Tim,

The shirt is dated 1943 or Showa 18 in the large right hand stamp, center column. Medium sized, right hand column. By 1943 the branch of service chevrons were mostly discontinued, they are type 98 insignia and your collar tabs are type 3 style. Given this shirt was likely unissued from its condition I'd guess the insignia are post war applied. Mostly these are seen with pocket patch rank insignia. No idea on the numbers, maybe for construction of the shirt.

Nice score, the short sleeves seem less common than the 3/4 length.

Rod

not really into Japanese stuff but like to see it.like the shirt.

Its fairly unusual to find Japanese shirts and tunics with their original insignia, they are nearly always stripped or un-issued. The insignia looks recently applied to me. Its a nice shirt, well done.

?

Thanks for the replies everyone! I think I am going to use this shirt for the beginning of a Japanese infantry soldier display. What are your thoughts on removing all the insignia from the shirt? Also, the shirt seems small... do Japanese items normally run smaller then American items (I understand that the stature of Japanese were smaller, just wondering if anyone else noticed this)?

Thanks everyone, Tim

Why would you remove the insignia? It may have been recently applied but it looks like original insignia.

I collect both Japanese and American uniforms and the smaller sizes for Japanese uniforms are indeed very apparent. I expect even today there would be significant size difference between an average U.S. and Japanese soldier.

?

Thanks Douglas! As for why to remove the insignia, just asking really. I prefer my items to be original without having anything added, pre-45 original. When you get into other areas of collecting where adding things to headgear and uniforms can hurt the originality of the item, I am just trying to be as accurate as possible to the originality of an item.

?

Insignias are most certainly added post war. Red thread is a bad sign. Any mint, unissued tunic without a handwritten name that has collar tabs is highly suspect.Branch of service M would never be on a late shirt. As mentioned a pocket rank tab would be more correct. No harm in removing insignias if they bother you as they are incorrect

Yes, I realise now that Jareth is quiet right. So you would be best to remove it.