Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Japanese tropical uniform display

Article about: This is my first crack at displaying an IJA tropical army uniform. The belt and buckle is reproduction. I have an original belt but will not use it on the display since it is mint. The helme

Default Re: Japanese tropical uniform display

Very nice.

Neil...I love mannaquin displays they look so cool when finished, and the chase to find the next item always thrilling...great display
    Prost ! Steve.
    "The German Army is the perfectly adapted, perfectly running Machine. The difference is that the Germans are organised with a view to War...with the cold, hard, practical and business-like purpose of winning victories."
    G.W. Steevens - The Daily Mail (1897)

?

This is very good!
    However there are some problems:
    - Cap should be wool not cotton
    - The waterbottle is worn on the same side as the zatsunou (random crap bag or breadbag)
    - Rank Insignia should be sewn on the collars (pocket collar device was worn only with shirts)

I've seen trop and summer T98/T3 tunics around for 50~100 dollars around, I have one myself but it doesn't have the bayonet loop.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_migv0d1GUp1s5qw4yo7_1280.jpg 
Views:	531 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	484140  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Haru - thanks for the input. I will change the location of the canteen after I acquire a few more items. I'm told cotton caps were used with Summer and tropical clothing. The Men-at-Arms series illustrated by Stephen Andrew depicts several soldiers with tropical caps in the Pacific. I believe the books he works on are pretty thoroughly researched. I used the button on type of insignia rather than sewing in something post war. NH

?

As for the cap later on in the war they added more crap to the wool and in the end they were making really really nasty fibre made from wood pulp so some were made with cotton in the extreme late war but the "normal" standard issue was wool (correct me if I'm wrong). Unless it looks really nasty and late war I would be suspicious about cotton Army caps. Cotton was common with the navy 3rd class uniform as well as Marines, so that might have been what you were looking at.
    The later ones especially can look like cotton even if they are made of Rasha (wool).
    For the insignia, original EM collar tabs are pretty common and I think they're not so expensive on ebay, it's worth the accuracy but it's really up to you. Good luck~
    Another way is to get a tropical shirt, which is pretty much as tropical as one could possibly get unless you give your display a wifebeater or something similar.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12