Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese tunic help please.

Article about: Hi guys, I need a little help with this tunic I have found for sale. I don't know the first thing about them I'm afraid, but I would like it to go with my sword if it's good. Ballpark fair p

Default Japanese tunic help please.

Hi guys, I need a little help with this tunic I have found for sale. I don't know the first thing about them I'm afraid, but I would like it to go with my sword if it's good. Ballpark fair price would be helpful too if possible.

Thanks!

Japanese tunic help please.Japanese tunic help please.Japanese tunic help please.Japanese tunic help please.Japanese tunic help please.Japanese tunic help please.Japanese tunic help please.

MAP
    ?

I really don't like the insignia or the backing. They look glued on. I have never seen that before. Hopefully some of the other guys (Taka-san, Jareth, Guy, etc.) will be around.

I don't have my reference books with me so can't quote the model type for sure but it similar to mine (the collar on yours looks different). Mine are M98's.

Hopefully some of the other guys (Taka-san, Jareth, Guy, etc.) will be around.

I have two of these that I bought a few years back. I think I paid $75 for one and $100 for the other. Don't know if this is market but I thought it was cheap. You can compare here....

Japanese Warrant Officers Wool M98 Tunic

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Size small
    昭和十七年製 Manufactured in Showa 17 year [1942]
    [for 大坂] Osaka Stores

--Guy

It appears to be a Summer or Tropical style jacket (see the vents on the side) with applied insignia. A basic jacket like this without insignia is affordable - around $80 to $100. If it has original insignia the price range is more like $125 to $150. Looks OK to me. I've included a photo of my Summer Jacket. Please note I have incorrectly added a rank insignia to the pocket. Those belong on the shirt - not the jacket. NH

?

It appears to be unissued (some dealers would say most likely "deadstock"). There is no inked in (or threaded) name within the tunic pointing to ownership. Insignia most likely post war applied -- never seen glue used before!

Tom

?

Jacket looks good. I have also posted one with glued insignia. This is the second time I have seen this. I believe it to be post war applied.

Definitely post war applied insignia, i dont think the insignia is even period..Would not have been done like that by the Japanese..i think the guys are right,unissued then embellished poorly..shame as it ruins that really nice jacket

It seems there are plenty of unissued jackets available. When I started IJA collecting about 2 years ago I thought a basic jacket would cost me $300 or more. My first purchase was $85! I plunged in and then got sticker shock at the cost of ammo pouches. With this jacket - if there is a way to remove and clean off the glue - perhaps that could be done. If not, keep it and look for another unmolested example and sell off the old one. These are not that hard to find. Good luck. NH

MAP
    ?

......In re-reading my original post I might have been a bit vague..

so to clarify: Yes, the jacket appears 100% (probably unissued as noted by Tom) but I just had issues with the insignia, in both the application and the originality of them.

I really like the way these display and for the going price of them, even with a post war applied insignia they are reasonable.

Michael

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Quote by Neil Hever View Post
    It seems there are plenty of unissued jackets available. When I started IJA collecting about 2 years ago I thought a basic jacket would cost me $300 or more. My first purchase was $85! I plunged in and then got sticker shock at the cost of ammo pouches. With this jacket - if there is a way to remove and clean off the glue - perhaps that could be done. If not, keep it and look for another unmolested example and sell off the old one. These are not that hard to find. Good luck. NH
    So true. The ammo pouchs are crazy expensive. Still looking for the belt and field equiptment as well.........

M

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast