Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Type 18 1885 11mm black powder cartridge rifle

Article about: Here's my Japanese MURATA Type 18 bolt action rifle chambered in 11mm. This is the first bolt action rifle manufactured in Japan and was the precursor to the famous Arisaka rifle. It mostly

Default Japanese Type 18 1885 11mm black powder cartridge rifle

Here's my Japanese MURATA Type 18 bolt action rifle chambered in 11mm. This is the first bolt action rifle manufactured in Japan and was the precursor to the famous Arisaka rifle. It mostly matching numbers; bolt, receiver, barrel, rear sight and trigger guard all match. Stock still retains its cartouche. 32” barrel is very good with some surface wear; strong rifling remains. Rear ladder sight. Bore is good with some surface wear; strong rifling remains. Original cleaning rod intact. Matching numbers receiver shows same brown patina; Bolt action works smoothly and flawlessly. Bolt numbers match; Firing pin mechanism numbers do not. Trigger guard very good with matching numbers. The only numbers I see that do not match are on the middle barrel band. Full length stock remains quite attractive with shoulder stock cartouche. Small repaired crack left side along rear tang; barely noticeable. Original metal butt plate very good. Does anyone make brass for this rifle or have any reloading hints?
    Attached Images Attached Images Japanese Type 18 1885 11mm black powder cartridge rifle  Japanese Type 18 1885 11mm black powder cartridge rifle  Japanese Type 18 1885 11mm black powder cartridge rifle  Japanese Type 18 1885 11mm black powder cartridge rifle  Japanese Type 18 1885 11mm black powder cartridge rifle 

More details:
    Attached Images Attached Images Japanese Type 18 1885 11mm black powder cartridge rifle  Japanese Type 18 1885 11mm black powder cartridge rifle  Japanese Type 18 1885 11mm black powder cartridge rifle  Japanese Type 18 1885 11mm black powder cartridge rifle  Japanese Type 18 1885 11mm black powder cartridge rifle 

and a few more:
    Attached Images Attached Images Japanese Type 18 1885 11mm black powder cartridge rifle  Japanese Type 18 1885 11mm black powder cartridge rifle  Japanese Type 18 1885 11mm black powder cartridge rifle  Japanese Type 18 1885 11mm black powder cartridge rifle 

Great Rifle!!! Thanks for posting. Sorry I cannot help on the reloading question.
    John

I cannot clearly see the brand. Is it
    内日青校
    Utsui Junior High School

From what I recall Nick saying, in those days "youth schools" were the equivalent of our high school, and "high school" was the equivalent of college-prep/junior college.

内日(うつい)とは、山口県下関市の内日地区(下関市役所支所設置条例で示された下関市役所内日支所の所管 する区域)を指す地域名称。

本項では同地域にかつて所在した豊浦郡内日村(うついむら)についても述べる。

もとは豊浦郡に属する村(内日村)で、1955年(昭和30年)に(旧)下関市へ編入合併した。((旧)下 関市の編入合併としては最後のもの。)
    自治体としての沿革

1889年(明治22年)4月1日 - 町村制の施行により、植田村、内日上村、内日下村が合併して豊浦郡内日村が発足。
    1955年(昭和30年)
    4月10日 - 内日村の一部(大字日新)が豊東村・菊川村と合併して菊川町となる。
    11月1日 - 内日村が下関市に編入。同日内日村廃止。

Utsui is the regional name that refers to the Utsui area of Shimonoseki City in Yamaguchi Prefecture (the area under the jurisdiction of the Shimonoseki City Hall within the Shimonoseki City Hall designated by Shimonoseki City Office branch office regulations).

Utsui Mura in Toyoura County which once existed in the same area.

Originally a village belonging to Toyoura County (Utsui Village), merged into (old) Shimonoseki city in 1955 (Showa 30 years). ((Last) as the transfer merger of Shimonoseki city is the last one.

Muncipality History

1889 (Meiji 22) April 1 - By the enforcement of the municipal system, Ueda village merged with Utsui, and UtsuiToyoura County was established.
    1955 (Showa 30 years)
    April 10 - A part of Nakamura (Oaza Nisshin) will merge with Bundō Village and Kikukawa Village and became Kikukawa Town.
    November 1 - Utsuimura is transferred to Shimonoseki. Abolition of Utsuimura within the same day.

?

That is a awesome looking rifle. First time seeing one. I see you already posted it on MILSURPS site. I posted there the section to check where you might find help reloading for that badboy. Good luck and when you do get to shoot it please post a range report

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

I would have a look at other rifles in the same or similar caliber, and see if brass is made for them. I know brass is made for the French Gras ('cos I have some) and I would not be at all surprised if it fitted your Murata.

nice one thank you for sharing

Thanks for the translation and reloading tips; I also have a Gras rifle and 71/84 Mauser and brass for both looks like it'll work with a few tweaks.