Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese type 32 Sabre bought cheap

Article about: Several years ago I purchased this Japanese type 32 cavalry sabre at a local "flea market" from a seller of wholly unrelated merchandise. He had this and some sort of rubbish decor

Tom2
    ?

Default Japanese type 32 Sabre bought cheap

Several years ago I purchased this Japanese type 32 cavalry sabre at a local "flea market" from a seller of wholly unrelated merchandise. He had this and some sort of rubbish decorator sword hanging up for sale. Had no idea of it's significance. He was unwilling to dicker much on it but I got it for 80$. Pretty nice for the price. Number on sword and scabbard match. Sword exposed parts originally blackened, turned fully brown. Wood grip shows some shrinkage. Blade is quite nice, unsharpened and undamaged. Blade is blued which seems to be unusual in these, blades commonly seen bright, if cared for. Scabbard also blued but turning somewhat brown in areas. Has the often seen dent in the scabbard, I have heard to prevent blade rattling? Good story anyway. Part of the inside of the scabbard has thin wood strips lining to presumably protect sword blade from abrasion or something? They are attached to the removable throat. This item sort of started my random collection of Japanese items. Well perhaps not. I once had a nice set of Jap field phones that I later sold. I buy whatever items strike my fancy at the time, which are affordable.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese type 32 Sabre bought cheap  

Default re: Japanese type 32 Sabre bought cheap

I don't know if it is or isn't Japanese but matching #'s is a plus. You might want to go to a book store,a big one like 'books a million'. The one by me has a couple of books devoted just to bayo's.

Tom2
    ?

Oh it is most def. Japanese with matching numbers. As for value, I occasionally enter "Japanese Cavalry" on an ebay search. Lot of them seem to show up there. And the prices are going for at least 3 times what I payed. There are occasional off shore fakes listed. With starting bids of like one dollar. And if you look at the closeups you can see the obvious deviations from an authentic example.

I didn't mean to imply it 'wasn't' Japanese, I guess I meant that I didn't know. You have a good piece there and it looks in good shape. I think I should get into collecting Japanese stuff. I have a bunch or German and some Russian WW2 things. My father brought home some Japanese money,cigarettes etc. from WW2. He was in the Navy. Good luck with your bayonet (sword) collecting.

Tom2
    ?

My sword collecting is sort of random. I have that cavalry sabre, a US 1902 model Army sabre, two CW swords, and several repro swords. And a bayonet for my type 99 rifle just to make a set. I should post a picture of some of my other odd Japanese relics.