Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Wound Badge

Article about: My knowledge of Japanese items is extremely limited. Is this wound badge legit? And if it is, what is a fair price (USD)? Lastly, were these awards issued in a wooden box like the one pictur

Default Japanese Wound Badge

My knowledge of Japanese items is extremely limited. Is this wound badge legit? And if it is, what is a fair price (USD)?
    Lastly, were these awards issued in a wooden box like the one pictured?
    Thanks in advance,
    Brian
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Wound Badge   Japanese Wound Badge  

Japanese Wound Badge   Japanese Wound Badge  

?

Default Re: Japanese Wound Badge

Hi Brian , that is indeed a very nice genuine Japanese wound badge you have there , with it`s original presentation box The example you show is known as a " Koushou" badge which means the soldier was awarded it for for being wounded in a non combat situation . This could have been for being struck down by disease or wounded in an accident whist on duty . I don`t like to give valuations , but i suppose it could be $60/$80 , hope this helps ,
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Thanks for the education Alan! I had no idea that there were non-combat wound badges.
    I don't own it, but I was going to bid on it. The badge was on e-bay. I never pulled the trigger on bidding, though. It ended at nearly $140 (USD) this morning.

Hi Alan, I bought a Japanese medal years ago with the presentation box, and I was alittle worried because the box looks just like the one featured here, but it's made of a light weight balsa wood. I didn't really know if that was correct or not. I had always thought balsa was only grown in Africa.

Jay

?

Hi Jay , the presentation box is made of Paulownia wood , which was originally native to China , and it is very light , fine-grained , soft and warp resistant , which is ideal for making chests or boxes etc. It is very fast growing also . These day`s they even use it to make surf boards !
    REGARDS AL

Thanks Alan, I learn something new almost every time I log on to this forum. Now I know what Paulowina wood is. Thats what makes collecting fun.

Jay

?

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    Thanks Alan, I learn something new almost every time I log on to this forum. Now I know what Paulowina wood is. Thats what makes collecting fun.

Jay
    Hi Jay , i`m glad you enjoy it here , and i am happy if i can help
    REGARDS AL