Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese WW2 flag on wooden pole

Article about: Hello everybody. I am in possession of a Japanese flag from WW2 still on it's wooden pole. There is a lot of Kanji (?) carved/burnt into the pole, and some artwork. I've taken some photos of

Question Japanese WW2 flag on wooden pole

Hello everybody. I am in possession of a Japanese flag from WW2 still on it's wooden pole. There is a lot of Kanji (?) carved/burnt into the pole, and some artwork. I've taken some photos of it and am curious if anyone can translate the Kanji, or if it would provide any information on the history of this flag. It was given to me quite some time ago when I was younger, and I do not recall the story behind it. The veteran who gave it to me has since passed away so I can't go back to the source

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Bill
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese WW2 flag on wooden pole   Japanese WW2 flag on wooden pole  

Japanese WW2 flag on wooden pole   Japanese WW2 flag on wooden pole  

Japanese WW2 flag on wooden pole   Japanese WW2 flag on wooden pole  

Default Re: Japanese WW2 flag on wooden pole

No ideas anybody? I've had it for quite some time and I'm itching to learn more about it. Would this be considered a 'prayer flag' ? You can see some art carvings on it, one of a horse and the other of a mountain or volcano.

Bill

?

Hi Bill , your flag is a miniature Imperial Japanese Navy battle ensign . This is identified as such as the sun disc is offset towards the lanyard end of the flag ( the army version has the sun disc in the centre ) . It is not a "prayer " or "good luck " flag as most of these were made up using Hinomaru flags ( these have the red sun disc on a white background with no sun rays ) and are also called "meatballs " by some US vets . As far as the wooden pole is concerned , i cannot translate the kanji for you , but as these have been stamped /burned onto the pole , i think they are patriotic slogans . The artwork of which you speak , i.e. the mountain /volcano is probably an image of Mount Fuji , a very iconic feature in Japan . I hope this helps a little , it`s a nice item .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Thanks for the information. Yes, I'm a real history buff but don't have many WW2 items as they seem to be a bit pricey. I love this flag & pole, and I was so upset when I tore the linen string on the bottom part of the flag when trying to fix the loose knot

Hopefully I can have someone read the Kanji for me one day.

Bill

Hi Billbo, I have had great luck getting translations at schools, whether that be high schools, junior college, university, etc. Heck, if worse gets to worse, alot of Chinese characters are the same as Japanese, so go find a Chinese restaurant, eat the $3.99 lunch special, then ask if they can tell you what your pole says.

Jay

My Japanese isn't great but I think it means the top of Mt Fuji.

↑ 
    Mount Fuji

Top, peak or summit

This is a modern flag → 

Still I am not sure why Mt Fuji would be stamped on a flag of that nature. I know sometimes in the UK people collect walking sticks with metal badges on showing different places in the country they have travelled to. Maybe this is similar to that?

Sorry I don't have all the answers for you, but I hope that translation helps.

?

The pole is a traditional Mt Fuji climbing stick that people use to climb the mountain and get various climbing stations burned into the stick as a souvenir and proof they made the climb. The sticks are highly valued and the flag attached to such a stick attesting to climbing the mountain associated with being a symbol of Japan is in character.

From the distinguishable characters, my translation is:

1st Pole closeup: undecipherable
    2nd Pole closeup: No. 3, sangouyme (3rd Station)
    3rd Pole closeup: 8th (faint but believe it is an 8) Station, Souvenir of Mt Fuji; Maybe (6th) Station (English); gogoume (5th Station); kosaishi (kosa ((possibly a name)) rock)
    4th Pole closeup: Yoshida (other characters undecipherable)(Yoshida is one of the trails up the mountain. The numbers indicate the height of the location.
    5th Pole closeup: Summit of Mt Fuji.

Wow,

thanks for all the great information guys!

Bill