Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Japanese WW2 Officer's sword information

Article about: Good evening! I am new to the forum. I collect knives and guns and while on Christmas break, a friend of my mothers offered me a Japanese officer's katana that her grandfather won in a poker

?

Have you seen maple seeds previously depicted on samurai swords?

I have not, but I have seen numerous other types of flowers on tsuba (hand guard). They, along with animals and other aspects of nature, are common themes for sword furniture.

Might you care to share your first name with us?

Regards,
    Stu

Thanks all for the responses. Stu, my name is Dan. I was able to safely remove the weather guard and have included some more pictures. I have not yet attempted to expose the tang, but I will. After doing more research, I am thinking the symbols on the crossguard could be some sort of mon. As seen from the new pictures, there is some sort of raddish or other root vegetable figure on both sides of the handle that used to be gold leafed. Cheers!

Japanese WW2 Officer's sword informationJapanese WW2 Officer's sword informationJapanese WW2 Officer's sword information

MAP
    ?

I'm liking this thread. It's like slowly opening one of those Russian nesting dolls.

Your in great hands with Stu, Guy, Bob, et al....

For me, however it turns out...I really think this is a neat blade!

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Definitely an older feudal periodd handle which goes along with the rest of the mounts. Now for the uncovering of the tang!
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by Badcat22 View Post
    ...I am thinking the symbols on the crossguard could be some sort of mon. As seen from the new pictures, there is some sort of raddish or other root vegetable figure on both sides of the handle that used to be gold leafed. Cheers!
    Hi Dan,

No, the design on the tsuba is not a mon. The menuki is a nice representation of a turnip; not certain what sort of leafy design that is on the kashira. Here's a turnip I found on a Google search for "turnip menuki":

--Guy

Guy-
    Very interesting! Thank you for schooling me! What does the turnip represent in the Japanese culture? I will take more pictures when I get settled in back home and will work on the handle tomorrow after I watch the tutorials. This is fascinating to me- any other info/background would be great! (Realizing the next step is to remove the handle). V/R Dan

Quote by Badcat22 View Post
    ...What does the turnip represent in the Japanese culture? ...
    Just found this explanation about an old ink painting of a turnip:

"...A turnip is also a symbol of prosperity because the sound of the word for it, “kabu ”, in Japanese, is a homonym for another word, “kabu ”, which means stock or goodwill...."
    [ghp: That other word, “kabu ” [stock], is used to mean "Co. LTD": 式会社 Kabushikikaisha.]

source

--Guy

?

That's great info Guy. Thank you. I have noticed that the purple eggplant image is often utilized on menuki and periodically depicted on tsuba. Might you know what the reason for that?

Regards,
    Stu

I am so looking forward to seeing the tang. DO IT NOW!!!!!!!! But carefully!!!! Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Can we see more photos of the blade? Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast