Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Japanese WW2 Officer's sword information

Article about: Good evening! I am new to the forum. I collect knives and guns and while on Christmas break, a friend of my mothers offered me a Japanese officer's katana that her grandfather won in a poker

Quote by MAP View Post
    You may want to use a rubber mallet to see if it will break it free instead of a hammer if you have one. But be soft. They usually leave no marks.
    Michael
    That is the reason for my mentioning a block of wood. Using a block of wood and a metal hammer will give more "impact" with a lighter tap.
    A rubber mallet is not the best answer.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    That is the reason for my mentioning a block of wood. Using a block of wood and a metal hammer will give more "impact" with a lighter tap.
    A rubber mallet is not the best answer.
    Ralph.
    Thanks Ralph. It worked well on mine but I will happily defer to you as you have amply more experience than I.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    What ever you do be careful but get that darn handle off.... Just kidding..... I have been fortunate not to have a handle stuck.

Marty
    haha not sure if I'm up for putting this thing in a vice...ive been tapping away at it but no budging. Im going to have to draw the line somewhere...the tang does not want to reveal itself! I will try again, but if any of you experts have a surefire method, I am all ears!

Edit: Just read the new comments. I can try a block of wood. Forgive me for not yet knowing the anatomy of the sword (I have, though, learned a lot the last few days!) but the two piece hatched part above the cross guard is substantially more loose. Could the tang have corroded inside the handle?

Check to make surethere is not a second pin! I concur that a rubber or plastic mallet can be used to dislodge the blade. Old built up rust can at times bind a handle to the nakago. Try the mallet approach without the vice first.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by Badcat22 View Post
    Could the tang have corroded inside the handle?
    Possibly, but it will likely be older rust. The method I posted should work. Just remember, do not hit it too hard. Patience is the key.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

There does not appear to be a second pin.I will try the wood block method... Here is what I am working with... R/Dan

Japanese WW2 Officer's sword information

Got it!!! Pictures to follow in a second...

Three peg holes and etching on both sides. Do the 3 peg holes mean this blade has been on a few handles? Let me know if you all need better/different pictures. I attempted to get a close up of the etchings as well as a full tang profile. R/ Dan

I see that the pictures posted horizontal. I took them vertically, I swear! If I need to flip them somehow I will...wanted to update ASAP though!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese WW2 Officer's sword information   Japanese WW2 Officer's sword information  

Japanese WW2 Officer's sword information   Japanese WW2 Officer's sword information  

Last edited by rbminis; 12-31-2014 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Edited to rotate photos.

R/ Dan

Japanese WW2 Officer's sword informationJapanese WW2 Officer's sword information

Quote by rbminis View Post
    ... use a block of wood against the guard close to the blade and tap gently with a smallish hammer. ...
    Called "Nakago-nuki" [tang puller]

Your hammer technique is the same as using the nakago-nuki: the angled piece of wood is placed upon the retaining band opening and then struck with the hammer:

Sometimes ... repeatedly!

--Guy

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast