Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Japanese WW2 Officer's sword information

Article about: Good evening! I am new to the forum. I collect knives and guns and while on Christmas break, a friend of my mothers offered me a Japanese officer's katana that her grandfather won in a poker

Default Yowza!!!!

津田近江守助直
    Tsuda Oumino-kami Sukenao

天和三年八月日
    Tenwa san-nen hachi-gatsu nichi
    [Tenwa 3rd Year 8th Month, a Day]
    A day in August, 1682

?

Nice find indeed. Don't make the mistake of cleaning it until you know what you are doing. That's one sure way to kill the value and possibly ruin the blade.

Regards,
    Stu

Quote by Stu W View Post
    Nice find indeed. Don't make the mistake of cleaning it until you know what you are doing. That's one sure way to kill the value and possibly ruin the blade.

Regards,
    Stu
    I absolutely will not. Wow! Thank you all for the information...This thing is spooky old to me. So, the million dollar question is..what was a Japanese Army officer doing with this blade out in the field?? I would love to get it restored..I have $400 in it right now but certainly see the beauty in it!!

V.R

Dan

Same smith, different sword (wakizashi)

[img][/img]
    source

--Guy

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Same smith, different sword (wakizashi)

[img][/img]
    source

--Guy
    Very interesting! Thank you!!

MAP
    ?

Nice blade!!! Well worth the wait! Like waiting for Christmas day to see what is under the tree!! Kudos to all the guys here.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Hi Dan,

IJA Officers had some leeway as to what they carried. I've sent you a PM regarding some aspects of appraisal and restoration. Assuming for the moment that you have a blade without significant flaws then you got the deal of the year at $400.

Regards,
    Stu

Stu, thank you for the information. I wrote you a message back before reading this but that makes sense. Would this blade have had some sort of family significance then? Thank you to all for your help! This has been an awesome mystery and it has been a pleasure to have the opportunity to pick all of your brains!!

V/R

Dan

I have edited your post to rotate the photos for you.
    Congratulations, I am happy that you were able to remove the handle and that you have found a nice surprise.
    I hope that you kept track of which order the parts came off as well as the orientation of them.
    Just to let you know, you can't go wrong with Stu's advice.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Default I Dunnnnoooooo ....

Let's not throw caution into the wind ... your sword might be a forged blade -- old, but forged.
    I am not a sword connoisseur, and I am no way near being native-level (much to my wife's chagrin) or even elementary school level; but I have formally studied Japanese and have had to write compositions for graduate-school course assignments: at least I am somewhat comfortable with kanji. With that said ...

I keep toggling between your sword signature, and that of the papered sword. Although yours looks good at first blush .... there are inconsistancies.

These are my LAYMAN observations:

First off, the engravings on yours looks very soft and dull in comparison; the exemplar is crisp and sharp.

Then:
    -- the horizontal strokes all look equidistant on yours; on the exemplar, the top stroke of the has a "tail hook" [this would be the 4th stroke of the full kanji].

-- yours is too squared in comparrison and the first stroke is long; on the exemplar, the first stroke is almost a dot.

-- your "michi" radical is not fluid, especially the "tail."

-- yours looks too straight in comparison, especially the water radical .

... hmmmm Yours is square; exemplar is flowing.

-- yours is two separate components; the exemplar is one smooth flowing stroke with a "bridge" attaching the two elements.

-- your tail is dead straight; exemplar's has a slight upward curve.

other side:
    -- [wa/peace] yours: first element heavy; exemplar, fine almost like a thin brush stroke.

-- [year] thick; exemplar, like a thin vine curleque.

-- [8] yours is angular; exemplar is round and flowing.

-- [month] more angular; exemplar is much larger, and very arty-farty.

All in all: yours is heavy and stiff; the exemplar chisel work looks like brushed calligraphy.

Again -- I am not an expert, but these are my observations. Perhaps once yours was very crisp and willowy, and has degraded due to being stuck in the handle. I am not an expert. But I would be cautious about declaring this a true work of Sukenao until an expert has his say.

I'm wearing my bullet-proof vest, so don't worry about refuting my UNLEARNED opinion.

--Guy

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast