Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese WWII Katana?

Article about: Found this site while researching a sword my uncle brought back from the Pacific. I know nothing about it other than the story around my uncle getting it. Can anyone enlighten me on what it

godfather
    ?

Default Japanese WWII Katana?

Found this site while researching a sword my uncle brought back from the Pacific. I know nothing about it other than the story around my uncle getting it. Can anyone enlighten me on what it is? Thanks for any assistance in advance.
    S/F
    gf
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese WWII Katana?   Japanese WWII Katana?  

Japanese WWII Katana?   Japanese WWII Katana?  

?

Default Re: Japanese WWII Katana?

Hi gf , your uncle has brought back an "family" sword still carrying it`s civilian style tsuka and tsuba ( handle and crossguard ) and also the scabbard which has been fitted with a protective leather wrapping and it`s good to see the leather cap for the handle still with the sword . Many of these blades had the tangs altered to fit the standard military shin gunto fittings but lots were not and as you can see by looking at the tang , the example you show has not been altered and has a nice ageing to it .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

godfather
    ?

Very cool, thanks Alan.

If you post a picture of the tang with the cutting edge at the top of the picture, I will attempt to read the signature for you. Older blades were not only "family swords" but also available through commercial sword dealers. Swords were also donated to the war effort. Many modifications to the cutting edge of a blade was done during the Edo period reflecting blade length required for certain school techniques of swordsmanship. I also have seen blades shortened during the war period but also have seen older blades in military mounts left longer and intact.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.